Making an offer at a pawn shop?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:38 am

I've love to find one of those Ovations that cheap, those are neat.

I really like my 12 string Dano. Same situation as you, I have a Rickenbacker 330 and would love a 12 string, but the Danoelectro makes a lot more sense, since electric 12 string is used in one out of ever what, 15 songs? Unless you are Robyn Hitchcock I guess, Peter Buck played a 12 string for 90% of his songs when I saw him this year.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 am

they will haggle, but you have to be aware that they have minimum and asking prices.

they also have to price that minimum over what it cost them to buy it, which is easy enough cos they usually give next to NOTHING to those they buy from.

i scored an Ibanez DE-7 delay (sounds GREAT) at a pawn shop for $12...but i know people in audit at the corporate office for that chain!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 am

i have also seen some pawn shops asking new-in-box prices for very used pieces of gear.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:28 am

Yeah, most pawn shops have music equipment well over what it is worth but that was kind of a random find.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:31 am

RefD wrote:i have also seen some pawn shops asking new-in-box prices for very used pieces of gear.
Oh, all the time. Pawn shops in Lansing would just put the new-retail price on everything.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

pawnage

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:37 am

I get the impression thatfor most pawn shops, musical. Instruments are a side thing. They get more income on jewelry, tools and home electronics.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:05 pm

Im surprised you found one at a pawn shop at all. All of the good pawn shops in my area put there dano's straight on ebay because people pay to much on there for them. I have a Blue dano Convertable (same shape as the ones pictured but a single pickup and a sound hole). I'd love to get a matching bass and regular electric but can't seem to find any in my area for a decent price. I agree with everyone else. Start low, don't offend them with a stupid cheap offer, and have cash. Sometimes if you just tell them I have x amount of cash and no more, they will meet you there. Make sure thats all you have though...
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:05 am

Ebay kinda of wrecked the pawnshop experience for me in that they now have easy access to information.

Gone are the days when I could tell the pawn guy the G&L F-100 is a piece of Jap crap (back in the late '80's when we thought Japanese was crap) and get a sweet guitar (still one of my main players) for US$150 ...

He thought he was beating me, also, by giving me a crappy cardboard case. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 am

One or two thoughts on Cash America:
In my experience they won't haggle on price (though they might reduce it by the amt. of sales tax you have to pay) unless an item has been in the store for at least three months. if you learn to read their price tags you can figure out how long something's been in the store.

The other thing is that they seem less ebay-savvy than a lot of the independent stores. And they also are more motivated to get old inventory out the door than many of the independents. I have pretty good luck with Cash America--not the best store for everything, but some pretty good deals can be had there.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

visible cow wrote:So how do you like that Dano 12 string? I've been looking at those recently.....can't afford a rickenbacker.
Curious as well. Been thinking of getting one to have for those parts where the band says "man this would sound awesome on a 12 string".
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:58 am

Keep your eye out for a Kapa 12-string. I have a Kapa Minstrel 12 and it's great. Real easy to play for a 12. It's over 40 years old and the neck is nice and straight. Much cheaper than a Rick. Got mine for just over 200. They were an American company, in Maryland from about '65 to '70.