EQ BEFORE or AFTER compression?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:09 am

ashcat_lt wrote:When we're looking for color "extra processing" can sometimes be a good thing. In fact, it's sometimes a good idea to get a little bit from here and a little from there, rather than try to get a whole bunch from one device.

Honestly though, I just never really thought about using side-chaining for this. Leads to an interesting point re:
Babaluma wrote:i have my eqs and comps patched to the patchbay, so it's easy and fast to switch the order.
namely, do you have your side-chains run to the patchbay?
well, i use a pair of chandler germanium compressors as my main compressors, and they don't have an external side chain input, although they do have a built in adjustable HPF side chain, which is great for letting more bass through! with the patch bay i can choose to have them before or after the thermionic culture pullet/chandler tg2 combo.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:20 am

ashcat_lt wrote: Honestly though, I just never really thought about using side-chaining for this. Leads to an interesting point re:
Babaluma wrote:i have my eqs and comps patched to the patchbay, so it's easy and fast to switch the order.
namely, do you have your side-chains run to the patchbay?
Definitely yes.
Harumph!