Wiring a 9 lug 3PDT A/B Switch

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

EvanMidds
ass engineer

Wiring a 9 lug 3PDT A/B Switch

Post by EvanMidds » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 am

Hey guys,
I'm fixing an intermittent A/B stompbox and plan on using a 3PDT footswitch however I'm a bit confused on which of the 9 lugs to use. I've used them before in building footswitches but had diagrams to show wiring. The box is as simple as it gets, passive, no LEDs, 3 TS jacks (1 in, 2 out), point to point wiring.

Any advice?

Thanks!

All the best,
Evan
All the Best,
Evan Middlesworth
Owner Pine Hollow Audio

jabe
studio intern

Post by jabe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:42 am

For something that simple, 3pdt is about 6 lugs more than necessary. If you haven't bought the switch yet, save a couple of bucks and get a dpdt.

Holding the switch so the flat side of the lugs are facing up/down (like this: - - -), wire the input tip to the middle lug of a column, and the each of the two outputs to a lug above and below. Wire the sleeves together -- or heck, the case itself may already do that.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:20 am

This is a good application for a meter - put it in "continuity" or "resistance" or maybe "ohms" (ohms and resistance are different names for the same thing, continuity is usually resistance that beeps when resistance is almost zero).

Try measuring resistance between the various lugs, make a little map of the ones where resistance is zero (or extremely low, like under an ohm or two). Those are the lugs that connect together when the switch is in that position. Then just flip (or in this case stomp) the switch and make a new map. After that it should be obvious what's what. Probably the row of lugs in the middle are the common ones, and the ones on the sides are what get switched.

EvanMidds
ass engineer

Post by EvanMidds » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice, went with a DPDT switch like you suggested Jabe. I appreciate the input guys, thanks again.

All the best,
Evan
All the Best,
Evan Middlesworth
Owner Pine Hollow Audio

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:32 pm

I guess i'm too late on this one....

3pdt is good if you want an LED on it. This is the diagram I always refer to.

http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/dia1.html

Care of singlecoil.com
tra la la