Ai3 Help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Ai3 Help

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 am

I am trying to make an Ai3 and an original MOTU 828 work together so I can record 16 tracks.

I have the optical cables looped (in to out, out to in) and I have the clock set to "internal" on the MOTU software, but I can't get the MOTU 828 software to change its optical in to anything other than "off."

Any advice? Is this a clocking issue or what?
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:51 pm

I'm not sure, but doesn't the Ai-3 default to 48k? You'd then have to set your MOTU control software and your DAW software to record at 48k in order for it to slave to the 828.

Is there any reason why you don't want to slave the 828 to the Ai-3? Setting the MOTU to slave to the external optical would then probably work.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:00 pm

This whole 48K thing is a killer. I have so much that I have done at 44.1 that switching now would be kinda wacky.

Anyway, none of anything works. I'm not sure how to "slave" anyhting to anything else. I just sort of expected this to work, but that was probably not too smart a thing to do as these type of things that seem so simple never work.

I have these choices for clock source: Internal, SMPTE, SPDIF, ADAT 9pin

None will let me set the optical drop down menu in the MOTU software to anyhting but "off." When I set it to anything else, it just defaults back to "off."

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:26 pm

What DAW? Check your settings in your daw. Make sure it is 44k and set the sync to internal there...if that doesn't work try setting it to the other options available. We are shooting in the dark, here.
mrc

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:15 pm

I checked the ai3 manual on Alesis' site. Apparently you have to select which source the ai3's optical out sees: optical in or analog in by a switch on the front panel. When recording from an analog board, you switch it to analog in. To play back tracks from the computer/828+ai3 to mix thru the console, select the optical in. Your 828 is probably not receiving anything out from the ai3 to its own optical in, that might be why the software control panel won't let you switch to the optical as the sync source, the 828 might not be receiving the optical signal from the ai3.

In addition, I found this link thru a google search:
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... f1955c3918
Apparently you CAN use the ai3 with 44.1k signals as long as it's optical can slave to a incoming 44.1 sync signal (like from your 828). I believe that the thread is in error about 20 bit and 24 bit ai3's; I think they're all 24 bit but the front panels were updated later.

Hope this helps.

BTW: The Behringer ADA8000 is a lot easier to use and either clock from or to.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:27 am

Okay, here's where I am with this now. After some tweaking, I can call up 2 SPDIF ins in Reaper, but they they just come through as red lined noise that I am afraid to even listen to. I double checked this with Sonar and I get the same thing.

I have the input button set as analog as I have my Black Lion PR8 dedicated to the Ai3. The Ai3 registers sound on the front panel when I have a mic plugged into the PR8 so I know that that part of it is working fine.

Still can't get 8 tracks on it though. I'm sure it is still a clocking issue somehow...

I could have gone with the ADA8000, but I'm not really crazy about the analog quality of it.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 am

FANTASTIC news! eh91311 has been such a huge help in this situation and emailed me an older MOTU driver than what I was using and now it is totally official: I can do 16 tracks and my Ai3 is working perfectly!! YES!

Now I just need something to record....

I now have everything hooked up which is really nice. I have my 8 channel Black Lion PR8 dedicated to my Ai3 and my Sytek is in 2-6 of my MOTU and my PM1000 talkback pair are in 7-8of the MOTU.

Next on the agenda: mod the 828 and the Ai3, right?!