I Need New Monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nordberg
pushin' record

I Need New Monitors

Post by nordberg » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:37 pm

i've been not very happy with my monitors for the last few years (m-audio bx5) and one of them crapped out on my the other day.

i'd like to acquire some "better" ones for no more than $500.

i know monitors are a pretty personal thing, but if anyone can help me not make the same mistake you made...

i was briefly checking out the yamaha hs series and the mackies, but i have nowhere to hear these.

i need to get on this asap and learn them quickly as i'm doing a bands ep in a few weeks.

oh yeah, and they need to be active.

thanks in advance - mike
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

I like the KRK RP6v2 speakers. The RP8V2 are a little better.
The Yamahas I foundto sound kind of boxy. But they have that, "if your mix will work on here it will work anywhere" kind of tactic going on I think.
The Mackies have been undewhelming every time I tried them.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:25 pm

+1 on the KRKs. I've got the RP5v2s and I really like them, but I've got some friends who use the 6s and they're always nice to work on.

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: I Need New Monitors

Post by chris harris » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:43 pm

nordberg wrote:but i have nowhere to hear these.
You should be able to go here and listen to a lot of options in your price range.

calaverasgrandes

Re: I Need New Monitors

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:22 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
nordberg wrote:but i have nowhere to hear these.
You should be able to go here and listen to a lot of options in your price range.
I will admit, that for as much as I bash GC, I usually go there on a quiet weekday to check out monitors. Most of them actually havea "studio" set up with 8 or so pairs. I brought a CD and played it from itunes out through a PT hd setup into some fancy monitor switcher. I settled on either the adams or the rokits after listening to everything they had hooked up. The mackies and yammies were awful. The genelecs that they had sounded too nice. I really want some passive adams now.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:13 pm

Buy from somewhere you can return them. Check out some that you think you might be interested in. See if you like they way they sound. How do they translate outside of your mix environment? Are you hearing everything the way you want to? Can you listen to them all day long without your head hurting?

All these factors are different for different people. If you can get a few sets of speakers at a time (like, by putting them on a credit card) and then returning what you don't like, you'll have an easier (and faster) time making a decision. It's much more about finding some speakers that really fit your own needs than finding something else that other people are using.

Choosing a set of speakers that fit what I wanted to hear has probably made the biggest difference in my mixes than anything else I've bought.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:47 pm

I guess it bears mentioning because, it wasnt obvious to me at first! You want to shoot for speakers that maybe dont sound super hifi actually, but that let you hear more into your mixes. the Rokits actually do this allright for the price. I really didnt want to like them. I dont like yellow. I dont like cheap popular brands. But I could hear reverbs very well, I could hear sticks hitting hihats, not just hihats. I could tell that the bass had too much low mid mud.
The Genelecs I didnt like because I felt they sounded too finished on those.
The mackies kind of try to do this as well.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 am

try out a pair of yamaha msp5 studios if you can. i love mine. but you gotta try for yourself. ;)

FBH
gettin' sounds

Post by FBH » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:49 am

Babaluma wrote:try out a pair of yamaha msp5 studios if you can. i love mine. but you gotta try for yourself. ;)
I had a pair of those as well. Apart from a very slightly crispy high end, they sounded pretty natural and full to me. I would recommend. Not that I'm a somebody, but still...

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:41 am

yep agreed, the high end is a little crispy, but it's one of the things that i love the most about them, as it forces me to make all my mixing and mastering decisions based on that sound. i've been using them solely for nearly ten years in the same room. i get lots lots of praise for my "warm and analogue" sounding mixes and masters.

if i ever move to a bigger room i'll probably just opt for the msp7 studios instead.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:58 pm

event tr-8's. best bang for the buck. you can find them used well below your budget.

here are some reviews:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec03/a ... venttr.htm

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... /TR-8/10/1

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Save your money and buy something better in the future.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:26 pm

I'll second the TR8 recommendation for bang/buck on the cheaper side. I have Adam A7s now, and love them, but I mixed on TR8s for a few years and several of my friends have them as well. You certainly have to learn their idiosyncracies, but once I did they served me well. As was previously mentioned, it does come down to personal preference. Good luck in your search.

Warhead
audio school graduate

Post by Warhead » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 pm

The Yamaha MSP5 are excellent.

I always liked the old KRK V6 II if you can find them used and in good shape.

Excellent 6" speaker with great midrange detail.

War
Warren Dent

ZenProAudio.Com

ddorman
studio intern

Post by ddorman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:20 am

I've got a pair of Samson Rubicon 5a's that I've become quite fond of, they work better with a sub though. I can be listening to them for a long time and they don't hurt my ears. I used to have some Behringer monitors, and even if they were quite it just felt like it was forcing sound at my ears the whole time and they'd get irritated pretty quick.

I also have always liked KRK's whenever I've heard those too.