I'd like a cheap analog synth, please

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:57 pm

minorleagues wrote:I think I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a broken analog synth. I like fixing stuff, and I figure any old one is going to need the tantalum caps replaced anyway.
Great plan. All the usual caps/resistors/cold solder joint things are very DIY friendly.

Some things to be careful about in some models: custom audio, filter, CV, or controller/cpu chips that are scarce, or "secret" potted circuit sub-assemblies (I think my arp odyssey has some of those, not sure). Battery acid damage (see: korg poly family) could be a way for you to get a great fixable synth for cheap - or could get you a heartbreaker that's too far gone.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Korg DW-8000.EX-8000. Somewhat limited with digital oscillators and env generators (not fast enough for snappy attacks) but huge fat sounding filters.
I had a DW-8000 for about a year and I sold it...definitely don't regret that one...

I personally would stay away from a broken Arp (unless it was something truly cool like a modular) because of noted tuning issues...

Maybe post a want ad on Craigslist...I had one up for awhile, all I ever got was people that wanted to sell their ESQ-1 though... Still it IS the right time of year for cheap gear, so if you keep your eyes open you might get lucky. I knew a kid about 7 years ago that got a vintage Minimoog (!!!!) for like $200 at a garage sale (yeah wrong time of year for a garage sale and he had nothing but pure luck because all I ever see are the crappiest Casios, but goes to show that some people don't know what they have).

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:46 pm

I think I'm going to pick up an Arp Omni MKII tomorrow, which is a really simple synth with preset string sounds (used by the Cars and Joy Division). It's $140, but when you play certain notes other notes will sound as well. There is a really nice resource page online with all the schematics and problem solving tips. Another fun project :wink:

Now...if only that guy with the $200 broken Odyssey would call me back...
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ThePaloverdeBeetle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThePaloverdeBeetle » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 pm

"I had a DW-8000 for about a year and I sold it...definitely don't regret that one... "

Of course it all depends on what you're looking for and what is useful to you. It is in fact somewhat limited in function without does not have complex routing, has digital oscillators and envelopes etc, but it does have a fat and somewhat distinct sound. Korg made their own filter chips, like Roland. Personally I prefer complexity in a a synthesizer, I'd probably rather use Reaktor than a DW8000 if I had to choose, I get easily bored. But considering all the Roland stuff that's considered valuable these days with limited function, I think some of these other hybrid analog/digital machines are worth playing around with, especially if you are on a budget like the OP. YMMV, as always.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Korg always had a kind of also-ran reputation. I dont think they got taken seriously until they came out with the M1 and the 01W (which legend says, was supposed to be the M10 but someone at the marketing meeting had that peice of paper upside down).
The korg poly 800, the DW6000/8000, they are limited synths, but not impossible to get great sounds from. OTOH with Moogs I find myself spending almost too much time just noodling around with the thousands of possible great sounds. I almost never run into a wall of "cant do that". Well except for the no multimode filter part.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

otto-bot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by otto-bot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:18 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:so uh otto, the Moog/realistic MG-1 isnt cheap and knobby? I know they have come up inrecent years, but they are still in the $300-450 range, depending on condition and greed of the seller.
It's all relative. So you can sometimes find a CS-5, realistic MG-1, Bass Station or Pulse for $300... They are all knobby, but less desirable than other synths. Usually they are going for $400+. I'm just talking average prices here, not "if you get lucky" prices. I've gotten lots of great deals on synths but with great deals you usually are forced to take what you can get. You are rarely fortunate to get exactly what you want, when you want it, for a great deal.

otto-bot
alignin' 24-trk

Post by otto-bot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:20 pm

On that note... there is a $275 BIN bass station on ebay right now. Wont last long...

ThePaloverdeBeetle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThePaloverdeBeetle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Doing a quick tour of ebay, it seems like there's not a whole lot of cheap real analog to be had these days. The Yamaha CS stuff does look like a nice option. I used to have a cs-60 that sounded great.
I still have a soft spot for all these weird old hybrid digital/analog machines that nobody particularly wants after all these years. Korg DW8000, Ensoniq esq-m, Oberheim matrix 6, Roland MKS-70, are all hanging around here somewhere. They are not perfect, but you can do a whole lot with them if you take the trouble. Each one has a distinct sound that you can't quite replicate with something else.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:43 pm

I had to sit on ebay for a couple years before an MG1 popped up at the right price. I picked up some korgs and stuff in the meantime so no loss.
To be realistic, a modeling synth goes for $400-600 for a no frills model.
A brand new moog Little phatty (hate the name love the box) goes for $1300.
So you can still get some good deals on analog synths if you are patient.
It's also cyclical. Right now analog is kind of hip. It was kind of hip a couple years ago too.

fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by fucdemas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Wainwright wrote:Roland Juno 6 - not analog oscs but polyphonic no midi - killer sounding under $350
i shared a practice space with a band that had one of these. the few hours i spent with it were some of the best.

the layout wasn't immediately clear but was intuitive enough that when i tweaked settings i was always pleasantly surprised at what happened.

i found myself using my ears more than my eyes.

a good thing for those that get stuck with in gear tunnel vision.

Praqtice
studio intern

Post by Praqtice » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Glad so many people are saying Yamaha CS-5... wicked wicked little synth. multimode filter plus sample and hold that you can put things through. 1 Osc but it's a pretty good one. Recommend using it with a good pre though, it can be quite quiet...

Got mine for ?80 ($130?) and I'd never sell it... Bass in this track is a CS5 and as you can hear it's quite bassy :)

http://hypem.com/search/architeq%20james%20pants/1/

Juno 6 is absolute meat and potatoes standard too... Basically a scaled-down Jupiter. SUCH a good synth for $. Steady tuning means you can tune it quick and it sounds good immediately unlike more complex vco-based synths that require constant balancing of tuning to get the same sort of sounds. Folk think they're not as good as 106 because of midi non-sense but 106 are built very poorly in comparison and parts fail left right and centre...

Also DCO stands for digitally controlled oscillator and is digitally tuned analogue, not a digital osc... No digi osc could sound like that!!

Korg MS10's are seriously juicy too... Maybe a bit more pricey but listen to The Emperor Machine's "MS10 Demonstration" which is entirely made with an MS10, you'll know what I mean... His track "Sh-09" is a great another demo that the Roland Sh-09 is capable of making very good records on it's own (despite what the geeks may say).

Get any of them and maybe a moogerfooger filter or ring mod (?150) or something to give it a little bit more grunt and scope for tone and you'll have an infinite spectrum of juicy sounds to choose from, forever more... :)

would anyone agree with me to say Seils are a pretty interesting option? maybe an acquired taste... not for bass.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 pm

actually, just get a casio and a moogerfooger lowpass and you are set. :lol:

I do think some DCO's sound harsher than others. But then with a little chorus or flange that kind of works.