Pro-Tools Free Replacement / Substitutes?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Pro-Tools Free Replacement / Substitutes?

Post by Uncle Dub » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 pm

So my little Sony Vaio laptop, which I've left running Windows ME crashed and had to be re-installed, and I can't find my CD-R of Pro-Tools free. I run M-Powered on my main machine but have been using the laptop, PTF and an off-brand USB interface for making 'field' recordings.

So what are my alternatives, buy a compatible interface? Something like an M-Audio transit and M-Powered? Does Audacity save Pro-Tools sessions or would I have to export track by track as WAV files?

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:07 am

first off, what has that laptop ever done to you to deserve Windows ME? Snarkiness aside, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrkUSB2/ comes with "M-Powered Essentials", which is the current equivalent of Pro Tools Free.

Otherwise, grab any M-audio interface and rock out with Pro Tools M-Powered full on your laptop. But for chrissake, put XP on the thing!
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Uncle Dub
ass engineer

Post by Uncle Dub » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:11 am

Mainly because PTF will only run on the old 95 based versions of Windows, the NT based ones will not run PTF.

So it's M-Audio, MBox or nothing for Pro-Tools?

What happens if I finally buy the MOTU 24io I've had my eye on for my main setup, am I only able to use Digital Performer with it?

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 am

Dude, props for rocking PTF as long as you have, but it's time to move on.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:19 am

Uncle Dub wrote:What happens if I finally buy the MOTU 24io I've had my eye on for my main setup, am I only able to use Digital Performer with it?
MOTU interfaces are not tied to any OS or DAW.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Just install the copy of ProTools MP you already own on your laptop. You'll just need to pop in your ilok when you use it (assuming you've got a suitable protools compatible interface as well).