Recommend a pickup for my dobro.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Recommend a pickup for my dobro.

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 am

I've got a Regal round-neck dobro that I'd like to put a pickup in (if that's even possible), so I can use it with my amps/pedals, etc.... Want to get grimey with it, without having to reamp it later.

Any recommendations?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 am

http://www.acousticon.com/mcintyre.htm

Call these guys directly to see what would work for you.

I have a garden variety Feather pickup for my acoustic, and it's by far my favorite.

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 pm

I have the Lace pickup on my squareneck. I recommend having the sound guy mic the dobro and use the pickup for monitoring - or run it though an amp to hear it.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:58 am

For amps and pedal use, the Lace is the way to go. It's hot enough to not need any sort of preamp, and is the right impendance match for the gear in front of it.

The most natural sounding (i.e. not magnetic) pickup for guitar or dobro - and I've heard them all, from Fishman, Baggs, Highlander, McIntyre, BBand, PUTW, etc. - is by far the stuff that K&K is putting out. Next best thing to a mic, easy to use, cheap, and NO QUACK. Similar to the Baggs IBeam in function, but a better design, and less body noise and feedback problems.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!

The Lace sounds like a good idea. I'd rather not have to get a separate preamp for it. I just want to be able to run it directly into my Gemini and effects to grime it up a little, and for reverb/tremolo. So far I've just been reamping it, but it's not the same.

Only thing I don't like, is the double sided tape to stick it on there. That stuff, in my experience, ALWAYS gets gooey and falls off.

Do the K&K pickups require a preamp, or can I just go direct to the amp? Their method of holding the pickup on seems way more solid.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 pm

I've had my Lace on for almost a year and its still rock solid with the foam mounting tape. Maybe after 5 years it will dry out and get weird, but you can always find that tape anywhere and replace it. You can pry it off with a small screwdriver and use good off to clean the adhesive off and then apply fresh tape if you ever need it - I doubt you will because of how light this pickup is. The cable has a kind of built in strain relief which pops around the strap lug, and I taped the extra cable on the bottom of my dobro. I have a cheap POS dobro, so I don't mind the tape so much.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!