Another "which preamp" thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

firgela
pushin' record

Another "which preamp" thread

Post by firgela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 am

I need to liquidate a few things first but planning to purchase my first fancy pants pre in the next few months. Please relay your experiences, preferences, and general thoughts. Firstly my mic selection isn't exactly stellar but gets work done. Current preamps I'm bound to are the MOTU 896, Yamaha I88x and 4 channels of pm1000's as soon as we get them modded.Also, I have a Gyraf G9 still in the works as well as an Akai M7 project on the list.

In no particular order the contenders: Vintech 1272, Langevin Dual Mono, Arsenal/API R20, Trident 80B

Saw a thread for the R20 here with no replies, read a couple of good reviews but nothing yet with extensive use. The bonus with the Trident is the EQ, I've used an A Range before and thought it was sort of OK, not outstanding. Though I didn't use it on multiple sources.
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I have a Trident 80B dual channel mic/pre-eq. Very nice piece of kit. I got this about 10 years ago when Ted Fletcher
the original JoeMeek guy was still doing them. It has spent a great deal of time living on kick and snare in that time.
PMI/Trident are about to re-issue them soon i think. See here. The A-range strip they are re-issuing looks quite interesting also.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: Another "which preamp" thread

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 am

firgela wrote:
In no particular order the contenders: Vintech 1272, Langevin Dual Mono, Arsenal/API R20, Trident 80B
Just wondering: how did you narrow your choices down to these?
Its an interesting list, in a few ways.

firgela
pushin' record

Post by firgela » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:07 am

Well, mostly by cost. And knowing I want solid state. Then was thinking IC vs. discrete, clinical vs. color.

I'm leaning toward the Langevin, having used the Manley Dual Mono before, which is probably my most favorite colored pre ever. And I'll have tubeness with the G9 and Akai. Also, planning to have the Black Lion mod done to my 896 sometime this year so that might cover my sterile bases. Dunno, thinking out loud here... oooh didn't realize the Langevin has eq too, albeit basic LF/HF. Have one for sale?
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am

vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 am

You haven't mentioned the nature of the material that you commonly record. Out of the 7 preamps that are in Studio A, the A-Designs Pacifica is used more often than the others and sounds fantastic on nearly anything!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 pm

That langevin is not very exciting, in my opinion.
I had one for a while, a long time ago. Like 1995-ish. I had that and a TL audio tube thingy mic pre that was kind of fun. The Langevin simply never was good enough to go outboard, because I had my first Auditronics 501 console at that point, and didnt really understand how great those pre's in that console actually are. The Langevin never outshined those pre's. SO..... a racked pair of auditronics modules, or something like that, would probably get you some really good recording action going on including some EQ that is simply incredible.
Or you could get something like a pair of averill 1272's and have some nice oomphy goodness without the EQ option, but with a great sound and two DI's to boot.
Just a couple of ideas you may not have checked out.
The Sage SE-1 mic pre is super great. The Shinybox "Si" pre is really cool.
a racked pair of something interesting might be the way to go for you.