Pro Tools Remote for Mac Laptop?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Pro Tools Remote for Mac Laptop?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Does anyone know if there's a pro remote type program that will let you control your desktop DAW from a laptop via wireless network? I have Pro Remote on my iPod Touch but I find the controls a little flakey. I'd love to control my desktop (and pro tools) from my laptop. Both computers are Mac.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm

I tried proremote and found it very buggy - really glad I didn't buy it.

AC-7http://www.saitarasoftware.com/Site/AC-7.html7 is the same idea, a mackie control emulation for iphone, except it works and it costs like $7.

My next suggestion would be to try apple remote desktop, but I'm not sure what the lag would be like.

Or of course you could just use a bluetooth keyboard.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am

More than anything I'd like to be able to see the edit window and have real buttons (or keys) instead of a touch screen.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Remote desktop. Shoot me an email, I've done it before on PC and have just set up two hackintoshes...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pro Tools Remote for Mac Laptop?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 am

junkshop wrote:Does anyone know if there's a pro remote type program that will let you control your desktop DAW from a laptop via wireless network? I have Pro Remote on my iPod Touch but I find the controls a little flakey. I'd love to control my desktop (and pro tools) from my laptop. Both computers are Mac.
Hi,

If you have the latest operating system software from Mac (I'm on 10.6.2 currently) you can use the :

"Remote Management allows other users to access this computer using Apple Remote Desktop." Found under the "Sharing" options in the Preference pane.

You will have to install the Apple Remote Desktop on your Laptop, and probably your desktop computer as well. Then you're go to go. Your laptop can control the Pro Tools in the desktop computer like that.

Here's the link to that software:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Another cheap way, is if both your computers have BLUE TOOTH and you are going to control one of them within 30 feet, is to just go out and buy a wireless mac keyboard, to use as a remote controller of sorts. Connect it to the correct computer, and you're off to the races.

My method is using the Euphonix MC Control, which uses Ethernet to connect to a hub, then be attached to ANY computer connected to that hub. I have a long (30') black Ethernet CAT6 cable for that one purpose.

I usually put the MC Control at the back of the room, when I'm doing drum ideas recording by myself, or when I want to be right next to my amp, and tweak the mic placement as either I play, or someone else plays, so I can record and playback as I move the mic into the best position. Usually I do this on headphones, a my studio is a one room recording / control room. Usually this works very well.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.