Need a mic suggestion.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

janusmusic
pushin' record

Need a mic suggestion.

Post by janusmusic » Thu May 13, 2010 2:26 pm

I am in need of a mic suggestion. I have a small setup(boss br864 and a tascam 424mkII). I use it primarily to demo songs to bring to bandmates and for songwriting. I have two mics. I sold off alot over the years. Right now I have a mxl 603s and an EV 635..also some really cheap sm58 looking thing from a company called CableUp..I need a new mic alot of what I do is acoustic and have been happy with the 603 for most of it the electric guitar I use the 635. I need a vocal mic that can perform more than one duty...The reality is I only have about 120$ to spend on something that can help with acoustic instruments and vocals that will give me something different than what I have. I'm not fooling myself with my setup and realize that It has limits but I can work really fast on it which is important to get the ideas down. Just looking for a mic that would fill a gap.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Janus

antoniosolo
alignin' 24-trk

mic

Post by antoniosolo » Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm

AT-20/20 is a very decent mic for $99 and you may even find the kit which includes an sdc for about that. I have done good recordings with the 20/20.
Mac
Protools

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

I'd keep an eye out for a used Oktava mk319. They sound great on vocals, acoustic guitars, drums, amps, etc. Pretty flat frequency response, most importantly unhyped highs (unlike alot of cheap condeser mics), and durable as all get out. Some people call them dark, but I see that as a good thing for cheap condenser mics. I see them on Craigslist around here for $100 or so. Plus once you have extra money you can have it modded at http://www.oktavamod.com/.

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. ...I will look into those it a little more. I do alot of banjo and uke things as well kinda alot of old timey instruments..without the traditional fidelity. I just feel bored. But then again I'm a guy with two mics so it is bound to happen.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Thu May 13, 2010 5:01 pm

ott0bot wrote:I'd keep an eye out for a used Oktava mk319. They sound great on vocals, acoustic guitars, drums, amps, etc. Pretty flat frequency response, most importantly unhyped highs (unlike alot of cheap condeser mics), and durable as all get out. Some people call them dark, but I see that as a good thing for cheap condenser mics. I see them on Craigslist around here for $100 or so. Plus once you have extra money you can have it modded at http://www.oktavamod.com/.
+1

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu May 13, 2010 5:05 pm

The CAD M177/M179 sounds surprisingly good on banjo. If you listen to the latest Del McCoury Band album, "Family Circle", that's what we used. That's a pretty decent microphone for the money.

You could track down a MCA SP1, I think a pair are under $100 shipped. Jim Williams modifies them, here's an explaination of what he does:

"The cap off the casule is a mono ceramic, bad choice. I use a MIT
MultiCap there. I replace the 2sk170 fet which I find to sound cloudy
to a fast J305 from Siliconix. The bipolars are changed to Hitachi
2sa1083's. I up the polarization voltage from 40 to 57 volts which
increases output by around 5 db. That plus the lower noise
semiconductors makes this a very quiet mic. The ouput caps are
enlarged to allow 20 hz to pass and those are bypassed with more MIT
caps. I use Dale RN55 resistors for the audio path. Panasonic FM
electrolytics are used for long term reliability."

"I have 14 of these. They are the best cheepo mic made."
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

janusmusic
pushin' record

Post by janusmusic » Thu May 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey Sean do you have any idea what the charge is for the mods? thanks for the tips I have a Deering open back..that when it's been paired with the right mic really sounds unreal..unfortunately I don't have that mic. The ev635 works OK for it..sort of.
ever track any ukes? they seem to explode air in short bursts and seem really sensitive to strumming velocity.. so its delicate for me to keep it present without clipping..I play a concert all mahogany.
Thanks again,
Janus

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu May 13, 2010 7:56 pm

A songwriter named Roger Cook comes to our studio a lot and most of his songwriting demos are him singing and playing the ukulele. Also, a lot of times my boss will play ukulele along with the band when we are tracking, and it occassionaly makes it to the final mix. That's what happened when he was tracking "When The Man Comes Around" with Johnny Cash.

We usually just throw up whatever small diaphram condensors that's handy, usually a KM84 or AKG C460B, and just get a little distance. You can use a roll-off to reduce the burst, but I think you just have the microphone too close if that's a problem you regularly experience.

I'm not sure what Jim charges to modify a MCA, send him an e-mail. audioupgrades.com
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri May 14, 2010 10:21 am

Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:57.
BORING!!!! :wink:

But yes a 57 is alaways good to have.

AKG c1000s can be had for that little.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri May 14, 2010 11:59 am

Ryan Silva wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:57.
BORING!!!! :wink:

But yes a 57 is alaways good to have.

AKG c1000s can be had for that little.
I know, but in all seriousness, I'm not one of those "57's are only good for hammering nails" types. I think it's a totaly useful mic, and given my lack of experience with a lot of super low-cost mics, it's the best I can suggest for the OP's budget.

Now, if he could find a used one for $50, and then pickup a TAB-Funkenwerk xformer for it... he'd be doing pretty well.

Surprisingly enough, I'm a big fan of 57's on vocals. Just have a hard time convincing my clients to not judge a book by its cover.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Guys....you and I know there are better mics for vocals and acoustic guitars than a 57 for around $100. You can't tell me that a 57 will sound better than a mk319 on either source. Come on!

And don't get me started on that retarded lightsaber known as the C1000s. It's ok at best. Good on acoustic guitar for high freq's, but terrible on vocals. The mxl's with a windscreen would do better than that, combine the sdc with the omni 635a and you got some nice vintage vocals sounds.

willhouk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by willhouk » Fri May 14, 2010 1:55 pm

I am not a professional engineer, I just record as a hobby. But I just bought an AT 4033 used here in Tape Op and I love it. I was using an AT 3025 and the 4033 just blows it out of the water. I paid under $200 for it used and it is working great. I've used it on acoustic guitar, vocals, and my cajon so far and I love it.

On a side note there was that TO article about how Sufjan Stevens recorded a whole album with 1 or 2 57s, and another mic I can't remember. It came out well I thought. Just my humble non-professional opinion.
Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri May 14, 2010 2:25 pm

ott0bot wrote:Guys....you and I know there are better mics for vocals and acoustic guitars than a 57 for around $100. You can't tell me that a 57 will sound better than a mk319 on either source. Come on!

And don't get me started on that retarded lightsaber known as the C1000s. It's ok at best. Good on acoustic guitar for high freq's, but terrible on vocals. The mxl's with a windscreen would do better than that, combine the sdc with the omni 635a and you got some nice vintage vocals sounds.
Don't diss the c1000s!!! It was my first microphone, I?m very defensive about that horrible sounding POS. :wink:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm

willhouk wrote: On a side note there was that TO article about how Sufjan Stevens recorded a whole album with 1 or 2 57s, and another mic I can't remember. It came out well I thought. Just my humble non-professional opinion.
It was the c1000s. And he couldn't figure out how to use it properly. but yeah, he coaxed some magic into those 57's...especailly since it was into a Roland recorder at an odd sample rate. Good songwriting and performence helped just a little.

EDIT: typo!
Last edited by ott0bot on Fri May 14, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.