Active monitors w/ consumer-grade home stereo receiver

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

saintcarquinez
gimme a little kick & snare

Active monitors w/ consumer-grade home stereo receiver

Post by saintcarquinez » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks so much.
Last edited by saintcarquinez on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:16 pm

If the Wharfdales are active you shouldn't be feeding them from the receiver's speaker output. An active speaker wants to see a line level input - try using the tape out from the receiver.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:21 pm

You do need to read the manuals to both pieces of equipment.

That said, please see if your Denon receiver has an output OTHER than the speakers, otherwise you will be S.O.L.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

saintcarquinez

Post by saintcarquinez » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Last edited by saintcarquinez on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:56 pm

What's the model number of the receiver?

saintcarquinez

Post by saintcarquinez » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 pm

DRA-325R is Denon. Thanks!
Last edited by saintcarquinez on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyHutchinson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AndyHutchinson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I've been trying to figure out a setup like this too; let me know if you come up with a solution!

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:17 pm

What the heck are you people running through these recievers?

The mixer/daw stereo out goes directly to the speakers and you're done. Control volume at the source.

Or are you actually trying to use these speakers for your home "entertainment system" and be able to switch between FM, cassette, DVD, and phono? For this I'd recommend (for quick, easy, and relatively cheap) a DJ mixer.

'Course, a passive stereo volume control for between the tape out and the speakers would be fairly simple to build. By then, you might as well add a source switch and forgo the reciever altogether.

saintcarquinez

Post by saintcarquinez » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:30 pm

I'd like to forgo the receiver for sure. What I need is a way to a/b signal through different speakers, some of which are passive, and some active. And the ability to attenuate the signal.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:58 pm

saintcarquinez wrote:I'd like to forgo the receiver for sure. What I need is a way to a/b signal through different speakers, some of which are passive, and some active. And the ability to attenuate the signal.
A DJ mixer would be the easiest way. Even a normal mixer that has control room outputs for two sets of speakers.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 am

I use a SMPro m-patch for just such a situation.

Passive switcher/audio controller. Lets you select between two different inputs, and two different outputs.

Go into it from my sound card, then hook one output to my powered speakers, the other output to my receiver with passive speakers.

Works great, only issue is volume matching.

Unfortunately, it is now only available as the "upgraded" the SMPro m-patch 2. I say unfortunately because it costs quite a bit more (~$160), mine was ~ $70 used.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:27 am

I think you can probably run the headphone out of your stereo amp/receiver into your powered speakers without much trouble. It's not elegant, but it should work - I've done it using the headphone out of an audio interface. The headphone out is unbalanced, so you might have to fiddle around a bit.

You really want a free speaker switcher.

Maybe the cheapest, easiest thing would be to get some female/female adaptors, if you're using 1/4 inch balanced you would want something intended to extend headphone cables, or something. You get 4, and put them on the ends of the cables going into your speakers. Then when you want to switch, unplug your audio source cables from the adaptors hooked up to the 20/20s (or if they're passive, whatever amp is driving them), and replug them into the wharfdale adaptors. The reason for using the adaptors is so that you aren't left with dangling live TRS plugs feeding into your powered speakers, which will make a big noise. The adaptors should make the end of the cable equivalent to the socket on the speaker itself, which you can probably plug/unplug without a noise. I'm pretty sure this would work flawlessly, although I haven't done it, and it would cost like ten bucks at Radio Shack.

What audio interface are you using? If it has 2 stereo outputs, you can use that and control everything in software. Some people are worried about sending a burst of digital noise to the speakers that way, but it's never been a problem for me.

Maybe switching between speakers isn't all that important, anyway.

Definitely never plug one thing into another before you make sure that you can't cause any damage.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:29 am

Rat Shack carries passive AV switchers that have 3 RCA jacks, one for video and then L/R audio - just ignore the video jack.

One that I use I use in reverse; in other words it has two sets of ins and one of outs, just reverse and use out for in, etc.

I am 3 sets of running passive speakers and one of active and use two such switches with A, B, A+B capability.

Soundcard ----switch-----Powered monitors
..........................\------receiver----Spkr out A---passives
...........................................\------Spkr out B---switch----passives
............................................................................\-------passives

(ignore the periods in the "schematic")

The push-button switches are quieter than the rotary - they don't "thump".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.