Surrounds for JBL 4315's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Surrounds for JBL 4315's

Post by lancebug » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I have a set of JBL 4315's that need to have the foam surrounds replaced on the 12" drivers. Does anyone know the best place to get good quality reasonably priced replacements? I don't necessarily need a "kit" per se, just the foam rings, but would be fine buying the kit if that's how they have to come.

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 pm

I've seen many nearly identical offerings on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOAM-SURROUND-REPAI ... 230a3c77c1

I went with this seller's kit when I replaced the surrounds on my Urei 809A's. It was a little more difficult than I expected, but they turned out great and I blast them every day now.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 pm

kickoldman wrote:I've seen many nearly identical offerings on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOAM-SURROUND-REPAI ... 230a3c77c1

I went with this seller's kit when I replaced the surrounds on my Urei 809A's. It was a little more difficult than I expected, but they turned out great and I blast them every day now.
Thanks for the link. What was difficult about the ones you did? A friend and I did the surrounds on some old Advents last week and they were pretty easy. They were flat, face mounted and the rolls on the foam were unusually inverted. We did a trick with a c-cell battery that made it easy to center them. The hardest part with those was getting the old gunk off the paper cone, which was easy once we figured out a rolling technique with a q-tip and some acetone.

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:52 am

I suppose it was more tedious than difficult; removing the glue from the frame and speaker was a slow process using isopropryl alcohol and an exacto knife. The coaxial driver was a little clumsy to handle as well.

Absolutely worth doing though.