DIY 1176's or LA2A's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm sick over this whole LA-3A thing. 500 series is convenient, and takes up significantly less rack space, but the 2RU version looks way closer to the original.... oh life's tough decisions....

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote: the best 1176 kits are found at Hairball (http://hairballaudio.com). The hairball kits include any of the different Mnats boards which are fantastic. I'm planning to build a pair of the rev D's some time this year.
Whoa can you really build this whole thing for $350 or am I missing something?

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah, tough stuff. I'm waiting to hear how the switchable T4b/vactrol works out in LAZ's 51x module.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
Marc Alan Goodman wrote: the best 1176 kits are found at Hairball (http://hairballaudio.com). The hairball kits include any of the different Mnats boards which are fantastic. I'm planning to build a pair of the rev D's some time this year.
Whoa can you really build this whole thing for $350 or am I missing something?
Yes, I have built two and they are right around $400 each. $350 for the kit, $25 for the PCB and around $60 in components, or course you can order nice components and quickly raise the price considerably. It's not necessarily easy, just because there is a lot of off board wiring to do but if you ever decide to jump in I will help you as much as I can and there are some easier to follow wiring guides on prodigy (even though the main one has it wired out of phase :shock:, or it did when I built mine but I went by the schematic along with the diagram and figured it out before hand.)

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:34 pm

That would be awesome man. I decided I need to get into electronics and figure out how to fix my gear (and mod it :D) since the great tech in town is MIA. I really have only soldered guitar cables and maybe a few other things and know very little about electronics but it's time to learn and jump right in!

This might be a cool winter project, that is unless you think I'm getting in over my head.

evets
audio school graduate

Post by evets » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I am in exactly the same situation, never really done any electronics, just soldered cables etc. I did have a job for a short time stuffing PCB's when I was 18 but I didn't learn anything about electronics beyond resistor colour codes (which I've forgotten) and how to solder well. I emailed drip and they said I would be fine with one of their builds.

I am unsure which to do though, do the hairball kits have detailed instructions?
The instructions are what has me interested in the drip opto 4. The thing that puts me off is having to source all the parts and a case and make sure the drill holes in that case are the right size and placement.

The thing I like about the hairball kit is that you get the case and all the specialized parts and they have a link to Mouser with a cart already filled with the components. The thing that puts me off is that without instructions aimed at a beginner I would be a bit lost.

The 1176 would also work out cheaper and there is alway the possibilty that I won't do such a great job on my first project!

If anybody has built both it would be great to hear what you think on this.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:06 pm

The drip opto has super detailed build instructions. You still have to be careful since the tube stuff has a lot of voltage, but I mean he spells out pretty much every aspect of the build.

The hairball kits have no instructions included whatsoever. There is a 60+ page on the prodigy pro forum that is considered the build instructions. If you don't read through it and ask simple questions, they may nail you. But there are also a lot of people who have built it recently and put together really simple clear cut wiring diagrams. I have pretty much everything in a folder and would be glad to send you some stuff, but I would highly recommend that you go to the thread referenced on the hairball site, click the print button so it's all one big document and start reading just so you can see what problems other people have run into etc.

With all that said, if I can build it - anyone can. you just have to have a lot of attention to detail, patience and a good soldering iron.

Brett I would totally hook you up man, you got me a gig a fews years ago in Evansville if you remember. I am still a noob at electronics, but I have done two 1176's and the opto so I am definitely getting better. You could drive into town one day and we could finish it up if you feel like a road trip to Louisville.

evets
audio school graduate

Post by evets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:15 am

Is this the thread? -http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=20058.0

I couldn't find it on the hairball site. Just a link to the prodigy homepage. I did a search on prodigy but there are a lot of different threads on 1176 builds!

If this isn't the one is there any chance could you post a link?

thanks

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:14 pm

T-rex wrote: Brett I would totally hook you up man, you got me a gig a fews years ago in Evansville if you remember. I am still a noob at electronics, but I have done two 1176's and the opto so I am definitely getting better. You could drive into town one day and we could finish it up if you feel like a road trip to Louisville.
Whoa, I did? Who you be? What was your band?

I love going to Louisville. Ramsi's Cafe on the World... mmmmm

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Deer Meet, you were out of town that week but your partner in crime did sound that night..

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm

evets wrote:Is this the thread? -http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=20058.0

I couldn't find it on the hairball site. Just a link to the prodigy homepage. I did a search on prodigy but there are a lot of different threads on 1176 builds!

If this isn't the one is there any chance could you post a link?

thanks
Yes that's the thread, up to 75 pages now!

evets
audio school graduate

Post by evets » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:08 am

Cool, thanks!
I will get reading!

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ghaines » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 am

Before you try any LA-2A type kit, you have to have the T4 situation under control. If you don't have those in hand or sourced, you're dead in the water. Remember, you need to match them for the actual gain reduction and for the metering. Otherwise, the meter won't mean a thing.

For a dual 1176, you can pick up two sets of the MNATs PCBs. He also has a power supply PCB for people sticking two units in one box.

Otherwise, the previous posters have provided really good advice. Listen to them!

Best,
GH
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ghaines » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:36 am

evets wrote:I am in exactly the same situation, never really done any electronics, just soldered cables etc.
If anybody has built both it would be great to hear what you think on this.
NEITHER of these is a good FIRST project. No way. No how. If you've only done cables, that's cool, but there is no way I would recommend either of these to you at this point in time.

And you couldn't find Hairball Audio's website? Maybe it was down for maintenance? I know DRIP is re doing their site. Try http://www.hairballaudio.com/shop/

Anything you do that deals with the Prodigy forum requires you to spend hours going through posts where people state things, recant them, fix them, digress, update, revise, etc. Then the PCB maker revises to reflect changes, and you have no idea which end is up.

Please build a pre amp first. Look at http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/ for the finest instructions out there. If you already have a 500 series box, Classic Audio Products of Illinois is a great option, too http://www.classicapi.com/.

Both of those vendors will give you step by step instructions, provide the parts ready to go, and give you experience stuffing the PC boards, testing your work, and building gear you can use quickly.

The compressor projects are great if, after building the preamps, you realize you're addicted to building stuff. Its the next level of difficulty in terms of patience, construction, and information gathering.

Hope this helps.

GH
Last edited by ghaines on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 am

Drip makes and sells the T4 too. One is close to the originals and one that has a faster release/recovery. The opto4 board lets you run two T4's and switch between for fast or slow gain reduction.