Concert Recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jcaudio
studio intern

Concert Recording

Post by jcaudio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 am

O.K., So, I don't have two sweet low profile Schoeps on 10' booms hanging over the audience. LOL I'm using two bulky large diaphragms in a Mid / Side configuration. Sometimes the sweet spot is right in the middle of everything and some people object to having this conspicuous set up. How do you guys go about dealing with what some might consider obstructive equipment set ups? Any and all input would be appreciated.

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Elaborate?

Post by norsehorse » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:48 am

Could you post a little more information about what and where you are recording?

e.g

Singer-songwriter showcases in little bars?
High school concert bands in school auditoriums?
Community chorales in churches?
Rock bands at an open venue?

What have been your experiences thus far?
Are you using other mics or arrays in addition to the m/s?

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:03 am

I do TV recordings and we regularly take up entire rows with our lighting and camera equipment. No one's ever batted an eyelid. But it's probably because we do have so much gear that they don't even think of complaining.

So is it a case where your mic pole is two metres tall in the middle of the first row and people can't see past it? Are the people taking issue just audience members or from the concert organiser side?

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Re: Concert Recording

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 am

jcaudio wrote:How do you guys go about dealing with what some might consider obstructive equipment set ups?
I deal with it by doing everything in my power not to obstruct other people's views. Chances are, they paid money to see/hear the concert, while I'm being paid to be there. Professionalism dictates that their desires come first.

Furthermore, I'd be concerned about possible (probable?) damage to my equipment that could arise from setting up "right in the middle of everything."

Distinguish between you recording a live concert and the audience attending a live recording. Then adjust your attitude and actions accordingly.

jcaudio
studio intern

Post by jcaudio » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:36 am

I'm recording in churches and school auditoriums (to answer the second poster). I'm putting a M/S a few rows back form the front with spot microphones at piano, soloist positions. Sometimes I place a single microphone toward the rear of the room to catch additional ambient depth (if I like the sound of the room).

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 pm

I had a choir conductor complain about this once, so I explained the problem and wound up moving the mics. The next time I recorded that ensemble, the choir director let me put the mics where I wanted because he heard what resulted from the first concert.

Of course, at another concert, he made a joke to the audience about me having a stroke back stage when he moved the mics I had inside the piano, so that they could close the lid. Had he told me beforehand that they'd be closing the lid for a couple pieces, I could have dealt with it, but they didn't, so they paid me to make a recording of a concert where the piano was inaudiable on half the recording.

And yes, I continued to get hired for their recording gigs.

You have to be able to explain your position, but then let them make the call about what's important. If the hour-long concert is more important than the theoretically forever-existing recording, then you cater to the needs of the concert first. There's nothing wrong with that, so long as everyone understands what that means.

Your setup sounds similar to what I've done in the past. I make sure I've got cables long enough to be out of the way, but sometimes I just have to set up near the front. Sometimes it's useful to set the recording equipment up right next to the mic stands, which means you take up a good portion of one of the rows. Too bad. Sometimes it works for me to set up off to the side a bit and leave the mic stands in the middle of the aforementioned row. (I might block off a few "seats" on either side of the mic stand(s) with cases or bags or something.) Sometimes it works best to put the mics on stage. closer to the ensemble, especially if you can have ambient mics closer to the rear of the hall. In any case, I get there with enough time to set up before the rehearsal/soundcheck, so that I can move stuff around and have it where it's gonna be when the first audience member shows up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC