Symetrix sx 202 issues.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Symetrix sx 202 issues.

Post by trodden » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 pm

I've had a modded sx202 for awhile now. A friend helped me, well, did the McQuire mods for me. It worked great for a number of years.

However, lately, the second channel will eventually start getting really distorted. If I power down the unit for a few minutes, plug it back in, its all back to normal.

actually, when I look at the waveform when this is happening, its very asymetrical. It does start happening on channel one as well, but not as bad. Sucks when you get a good take and "what, what's all distorted... oh fuck, its the overheads again, we have to do it again.."

Why would this be happening? Its really lame to have to continue doing this throughout a session.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:06 pm

sound like coupling caps to me, but then I'm a total hack. Surprised no one else has dropped any science on this yet, but me, I would get a schemo and figure out the caps that are in the audio path. Replace those first. Then work your way through the power supply if that didnt fix it.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Symetrix sx 202 issues.

Post by Andy Peters » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:15 pm

trodden wrote:I've had a modded sx202 for awhile now. A friend helped me, well, did the McQuire mods for me. It worked great for a number of years.

However, lately, the second channel will eventually start getting really distorted. If I power down the unit for a few minutes, plug it back in, its all back to normal.

actually, when I look at the waveform when this is happening, its very asymetrical. It does start happening on channel one as well, but not as bad. Sucks when you get a good take and "what, what's all distorted... oh fuck, its the overheads again, we have to do it again.."

Why would this be happening? Its really lame to have to continue doing this throughout a session.
original schematic.

Undo the mods.

Check the offset trim on the SSM2015.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."