Pickup for short scale bass

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Pickup for short scale bass

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Many of you guys can relate to helping a player refine their part while tracking to help them realize their musical idea.

I've never thought of myself as a performance musician but lately I get asked to come jam on bass. In the studio I've gotten to try some great sounding rigs and I really like to get down on a p-bass through an Ampeg setup.

To the point, I have short arms and stubby fingers and play a short scale at home.

Real bassists - I've got a First Act bass that plays like a dream (and I'm going to ignore your snickers) and am looking to replace the pickup.

Somethng that would suit a Beatles violin bass or a Gibson SG-type.

Thanks,

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 am

Hmmm, let me do a little looking into First Act.

I also make custom handwound guitar and bass pickups.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks Tom,

It comes supplied with P-style split pickups. Low output and don't sound half bad but deficient in guts (for lack of a better term). I'd like to stick with that configuration.

It has great balance and sustain and a nice, nice neck, kind of stylin', too.

Love to get something from a TOMB guy, let me know what you've got.

Bill
Irie Lab Sound Studios

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:51 am

Sounds good. I'll PM you!

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 am

More guts, huh?

I'll bet those things have some crappy pots in them. try bypassing the volume and tone and wiring the stock pickup straight to the jacks, I'll bet it will help.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:27 pm

TOMB is just awesome!

I won't jump into anything right away but am filing away your helpful advice; thanks guys.

Although taking a direct out test only requires some alligator clips, hmmm.

BTW - I've done some musing about this - does anyone have any knowledge about using inductive tone controls for passive electric instruments vs the normal capacitor-based methods?

My seat-of-the-pants take is that coil losses at so low a voltage level would make the scheme unfeasible and hum might be a real problem, as well.

Bill
Irie Lab Sound Studios

ampguy
buyin' a studio

my limited experience

Post by ampguy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:41 pm

with basses at guitar center with a lot of diff basses and amps indicate that volumes differ from string to string, wildly.

So the more pickups and controls, probably the better. I'm surprised no one has just put 4 independent pickups, with 4 independent volumes for each string on a bass yet.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 am

I make quadraphonic pickups for bass. I can make them in P-bass style. You run it out to a breakout box, then have separate control over each string. You can record each string to its own track.
http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic

ampguy
buyin' a studio

cool!

Post by ampguy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 pm

interesting stuff. I wish I could break out different pairs of strings then send them back through my virtual tape heads in an akai headrush which outputs to separate amps.

ubertar wrote:I make quadraphonic pickups for bass. I can make them in P-bass style. You run it out to a breakout box, then have separate control over each string. You can record each string to its own track.
http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: my limited experience

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:51 am

ampguy wrote:with basses at guitar center with a lot of diff basses and amps indicate that volumes differ from string to string, wildly.

So the more pickups and controls, probably the better. I'm surprised no one has just put 4 independent pickups, with 4 independent volumes for each string on a bass yet.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:29 am

Testing the pickups without the pots is going to require snipping off at least the one wire from each pot (the grounded wire). You can't just alligator clip to somewhere before them because they're still in the circuit. I would expect you'll find it somewhat brighter, but I didn't get the idea that's what you were shooting for.

I'm sure that the FirstAct pickups are crap. I can't imagine you could possibly go wrong in replacing them, but I always recomend the free and easy solutions first. Have you tried adjusting the pickup height? There's quite a lot of tonal variation available right there.

I've always wanted to try a GFS L'il Killer in a shortscale bass.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:Thanks Tom,

It comes supplied with P-style split pickups. Low output and don't sound half bad but deficient in guts (for lack of a better term). I'd like to stick with that configuration.

It has great balance and sustain and a nice, nice neck, kind of stylin', too.

Love to get something from a TOMB guy, let me know what you've got.

Bill
Maybe check that the pickup is wired correctly?
The coils of a P pickup should wired in series, giving them a ballsy midrange with high output.
Might have been mis-wired in parallel.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Wubbeneezer Garibaldi wrote: Maybe check that the pickup is wired correctly?
The coils of a P pickup should wired in series, giving them a ballsy midrange with high output.
I doubt that would make much of a difference here. Series wiring, when it's in a humbucker, will work that way, because both pickups are getting signal from the same strings. In this case, each coil is picking up a different pair of strings, so you won't have that effect on tone. It'll cut the hum, but it won't affect the sound very much. When you have two signals from the same strings, in series, the output is added together, and doubled. When the signals are from different strings, it's not going to double. It shouldn't have much effect on tone, either.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: my limited experience

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

CraigS63 wrote:Image
OMG, don't let the bass player from my last band see that.

On second thought, do.

(I was kinda into the concept until I saw the triple strings.)
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

ubertar wrote:
Wubbeneezer Garibaldi wrote: Maybe check that the pickup is wired correctly?
The coils of a P pickup should wired in series, giving them a ballsy midrange with high output.?
I doubt that would make much of a difference here. Series wiring, when it's in a humbucker, will work that way, because both pickups are getting signal from the same strings. In this case, each coil is picking up a different pair of strings, so you won't have that effect on tone. It'll cut the hum, but it won't affect the sound very much. When you have two signals from the same strings, in series, the output is added together, and doubled. When the signals are from different strings, it's not going to double. It shouldn't have much effect on tone, either.
Sure it will!

Discounting volume differences, the main difference is that in series you've got four times as much inductance compared to parallel.* ?This will cause a pretty drastic attenuation of the higher frequencies.

Think of the difference between a bright sparkly single-coil sound (say from splitting off one coil in an HB) and the darker, more midrangey sound of the full HB in that same position. ?This is almost completely caused by inductance, and in this case it's only doubled.

*This assumes that both coils are identical. ?Parallel will have 1/2 the inductance of either coil. ?Series has 2x that of one coil. ?And it doesn't matter that one coil is not sensing a given string. ?The added inductance still exists in the circuit.