RME ADI-2 feeding clock info to iMac

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

RME ADI-2 feeding clock info to iMac

Post by tdbajus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm setting up a little project studio at home, and I have brought my under-utilized RME ADI-2 to be the ins 'n' outs. I have it hooked up through TOSlink, and if I slave the RME to the clock from the computer, everything is hunky-dory. Audio goes in, audio goes out, no obvious clocking errors.

I was thinking I'd be better off if I slaved to the clock in the RME. In AudioMIDI setup, however, the tab for the clock source tab is grayed out, no matter what I do.

Anybody tried this before?

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: RME ADI-2 feeding clock info to iMac

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:21 pm

tdbajus wrote:I'm setting up a little project studio at home, and I have brought my under-utilized RME ADI-2 to be the ins 'n' outs. I have it hooked up through TOSlink, and if I slave the RME to the clock from the computer, everything is hunky-dory. Audio goes in, audio goes out, no obvious clocking errors.

I was thinking I'd be better off if I slaved to the clock in the RME. In AudioMIDI setup, however, the tab for the clock source tab is grayed out, no matter what I do.

Anybody tried this before?
I assume you're coming in through the iMac's 1/8" TOSLINK input?

It won't let you change the clock source because there's no alternate clock input, so the data clock is recovered from the TOSLINK signal. Since the A/D conversion has already been done by the clock in the RME, you don't care about jitter in the transmission to the computer.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."