unbalanced guitar signals into balanced interface inputs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bassalisk
audio school graduate

unbalanced guitar signals into balanced interface inputs?

Post by bassalisk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey,

I have an Apogee Ensemble. There are 4 pre-amps on channels 1-4 and I'm trying to send a guitar signal into each. Channels 1 and 2 have hi-z unbalanced ins on the front panel... perfect.

3 and 4 have hi-z ins but they are TRS connectors according the manual... is there any danger or disadvantage in plugging a TS guitar cable right into the TRS inputs?

Thank you..
arambedrosian.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:39 pm

My understanding (and experience) is that balanced ins (and outs) kindof "fail gracefully" if you plug in a TS (unbalanced) cable. You lose 6 db's of level, but not much else on short cable runs.

Try it, if it sounds good, it is good.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

bassalisk
audio school graduate

Post by bassalisk » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks Carl :)
arambedrosian.com

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Most of the interfaces are balanced in such a way that you don't lose 6db. The only danger is an impedance mismatch, but if the guitar sounds good, it is good.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Actually, you don't lose 6 dB in this situation - if the source is unbalanced, you never had them to begin with.

It might help to know what Apogee mean by "Hi-Z"...in general you'd want something like a MegaOhm for an instrument input. Apogee lose a couple credibility points in my book, because I can't seem to find anything resembling engineering specs for the Ensemble on their website. For a company that thrives on it's high performance reputation, you'd think they'd be more forthcoming about things like frequency response, THD and input impedance.

Anyways, with passive guitars, you might find that they're kinda thin sounding if the input impedance is too low.

With active pickups, there probably won't be much difference.

audioboffin
pluggin' in mics

Post by audioboffin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:33 pm

Typical Fender input schematics show a pair of 34 k resistors with a 1 meg resistor to deck, reducing the 1 meg input impedance of the following stage in order to control vulnerability to noise. From memory a strat single coil pickup is around 6.8k. If you want an ideal impedance match to that pickup then an input impedance in the realm of 68k to 100k should give a nice balance between bandwidth, dynamics and immunity from high impedance related noise when using decent short shielded cable. Another line of thought is that 1 meg is needed to match the pair of 500k volume pots in say a Les Paul.

Many so called "instrument inputs" are 10k input impedance and as such might load down vulnerable high impedance guitar pickups. Those 10k inputs are a better match for devices with active outputs such as synths and guitars with active onboard preamps etc. If in doubt use a decent DI box patched into a mic input and compare the sonic differences.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

- Hunter S. Thompson

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: unbalanced guitar signals into balanced interface inputs

Post by Andy Peters » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 pm

bassalisk wrote:3 and 4 have hi-z ins but they are TRS connectors according the manual... is there any danger or disadvantage in plugging a TS guitar cable right into the TRS inputs?
Use a direct box.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: unbalanced guitar signals into balanced interface inputs

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm

Andy Peters wrote:
bassalisk wrote:3 and 4 have hi-z ins but they are TRS connectors according the manual... is there any danger or disadvantage in plugging a TS guitar cable right into the TRS inputs?
Use a direct box.

-a
This.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

A favorite pedal can make a good "go-between", trust your ears in all things great and small.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****