Aiight, so tell us about large dia. dynamics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Aiight, so tell us about large dia. dynamics

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:56 pm

In the "Whatcha Bought" thread there's talk about the EV PL-20 (from infiniteposse this date).

I've heard, of course, non-stop praise for the SM-7, and mention of the RE-20 (same as PL-20?), etc.

What other large diaphragm dynamics are worthy, and particularly for vocals?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

The PL 20 and RE20 are the same mic with different paint.

I've found LDD can work better on unexperienced singers for some reason. I'm not sure if 421 or M88 count as LDD, but they can work great on some singers and are nice for scratch vocals in the live room, because they have good rejection.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Not sure if the Sennheiser MD441 is a large diaphragm either. What's the minimum diameter you would like to discuss?

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I get a fair amount of mileage out of the M99.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 am

accordion squeezist wrote:Not sure if the Sennheiser MD441 is a large diaphragm either. What's the minimum diameter you would like to discuss?
That jes' sounds so dirty ... :twisted:

What I am lookin' for is recommendations re a cheaper large dia. such that it would work well on vocals, as well as being very good on something else, flexible even.

I would love a SM-7, for example, as I want that sound for my voice, and I need a kick mic, too.

At the moment, I ain't got US$400, tho'.

The kick mic need might drive me to get a E602, butt I've not heard any mention of it for anything else.

I have read the ATM25 is flexible, butt yer still at US$300.

I guess I'm looking for bang for the buck, useable on vox butt as other stuff (kick, bass, etc.)

You know, like someone would let slip, "My secret weapon is this US$50 Bellwanger ..." :oops:
Last edited by vvv on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 am

beyerdynamic tgx50

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 am

Could be good, but not made any more (?), US$220-400 on E-bay, as I post.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Lance Owens wrote:I get a fair amount of mileage out of the M99.
I'm curious about these. What are they like? Where do they shine?

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm

save up for the SM7. You won't regret it. (you can get them used for ~$250-300).

I use mine all the time for my guitar amp, however, they are extremely versatile.

For example, just yesterday I was helping an old friend track a song of his in a hurry. Didn't want to move my nicer tube mics from the drums (GT MD1a's), so I grabbed the SM7.

Made sure it was in the "flat" setting. ran it through my old (I mean old) Studiomaster board, as that is my "live practice board.

20 min later, two vocal tracks that we we FLOORED how good they sounded on the playback.

Seriously, probably one of the few gear purchases for which I have absolutely NO buyers remorse.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Agreed, the SM7 is one to get. It's my go-to on guitar amps, sounds amazing as a natural sounding kick mic (put it in the hole a bit and you get just the right amount of click), love it on vocals. I'd DEFINITELY say it's worth saving up for. However when I was looking for one, I couldn't find a single one used anywhere. People just seem to hold on to them, which says something. Maybe use the BSW discount from the banner up top to get a few bucks off. But for the mic you're getting, the price is not bad at all. I don't see myself ever getting rid of mine, though possibly getting two or three more.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 am

re20 is good, i use mine on lots of stuff.

i have an ATM25, not made anymore as far as i know, i got one on ebay. useful but i usualy find i like the re20 better when i compare them on a drum (seems to be the only time i get this out is for drums)

sm7b, of course. (still wanting to buy one of these)

has anybody said the Heil pr40 yet? you can see these on drumkits, and other instruments, vocals, and on the desk of quite a few talk and radio shows or podcasts.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 am

I always wind up supporting the Stedman N90 in these "alternate dynamic" mic threads. Lots of meat to that mic, and a very tame high end. Almost (dare I say it) ribbon-like.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:37 am

I've been digging the Heil PR40 as of late. Haven't tried it on more than one vocalist yet (shot out with SM7, chose SM7, FWIW), but it's been NICE on kick, mic'ing a JMP -> Orange cab combo., floor tom, bass cab.... BIG lowend, but very clear sounding. Top is present, and clear. More hyped in the upper mids than the SM7, seemingly.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:59 am

djimbe wrote:I always wind up supporting the Stedman N90 in these "alternate dynamic" mic threads. Lots of meat to that mic, and a very tame high end. Almost (dare I say it) ribbon-like.
its an interesting mic for sure. very loose pattern.

lil honky, so i almost never used it on vocals. but i really liked it as a room mic. amp mic. or just an "alternate" mic if something was just not working, the n90 would often have a different perspective.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 am

djimbe wrote:I always wind up supporting the Stedman N90 in these "alternate dynamic" mic threads. Lots of meat to that mic, and a very tame high end. Almost (dare I say it) ribbon-like.
Is it still being manufactured? I don't see it for sale anywhwere.