Exporting audio mixdown from Digital Performer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DMZ2000
alignin' 24-trk

Exporting audio mixdown from Digital Performer

Post by DMZ2000 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:40 am

Hello. I'm a PC and Cubase user. I'm not too familiar with Macs and have little to no track time in DP. What I want to do is simply bounce down a song to 2track wav. file from a DP session. In the tracking window I have four hunks of 17 track content that I'd like to do a 'rough mix' of in the box, and bounce it down to stereo audio that would be ready to be added to a cd-r. Is "Bounce to Disk" how I do this? How do I export each song seperately if they're all in the same sequence window? In Cubase you simply set up the left and right locators for the song you want to export, then you choose export audio, and the dialog that pops up allows you to choose how you wish to export you song (wav. 44.1/16, stereo interleaved...etc..)
I appreciate your input and help. Thank you.

thedonwood
audio school graduate

Post by thedonwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:42 am

Yes Bounce To Disk is one way to do it. Make sure your tracks and time range are selected and that they are all assigned to the same output. You also have the option of choosing where your bounce goes, either back into the sequence as a new track or into the Soundbites window from where you can export it as a wav file.
AKG, Neumann, B&K, EV ->
Avalon Pre->
Apogee Rosetta 800->
DP 7.2->
HR824's

thedonwood
audio school graduate

Post by thedonwood » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 am

Yes Bounce To Disk is one way to do it. Make sure your tracks and time range are selected and that they are all assigned to the same output. You also have the option of choosing where your bounce goes, either back into the sequence as a new track or into the Soundbites window from where you can export it as a wav file.
AKG, Neumann, B&K, EV ->
Avalon Pre->
Apogee Rosetta 800->
DP 7.2->
HR824's

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:47 pm

the way i like to do it is to set up an aux track (project-add track-aux track) and buss all my audio through it; that way i can use some itb compression or limiting if i want. Set the input for the aux as a stereo buss and the outputs of the audio tracks to the same buss. Then add a stereo audio track and set the input of that to the same as the output buss of the aux track. Then you can just mix it in real time. To find the files, go to the bites window (shift-B) and select the ones you want to export, then use the mini-menu and 'export selected bites'.

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:03 am

To exactly select the time range you want to export, if all the songs are in the same sequence, put a marker where you want the bounce to start and one where you want the bounce to stop, then click on the first marker and the timespan between it and the second will be selected.
nick_a's method is the one I have to use, since Duende hardware doesn't allow for offline bounce. As thedownwood said, it is important to assign all the tracks to the same output and select that output in the bounce window. If you used subgroups while mixing then all of the subgroups will have to be assigned to the same output.
If you want to use ITB compression or whatever on the 2bus then you can add a master fader (cmd-alt-m?) and assign it to the same output as the buses pr the tracks.
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

DMZ2000
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DMZ2000 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks so much everyone. I like Nick A's method; that's a nice alternative to the straight bounce. The marker method really helps as well.
I wound up just click dragging the selection (to highlight the portion to bounce), and then following theBounce to Disk submenu. This helped me make a quick bounce of each song for the band.
I'm looking forward to getting more practice in DP. It's a great tracking/editing software.
Thanks guys.