Unused Guitar String Life

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Unused Guitar String Life

Post by song-writer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:07 am

These days, guitar strings by some manufacturers are in a sealed package, which I believe will keep them just as good as new until the package is opened. This begs the question on how long UNUSED guitar strings last. Don't know if you are like me, but I have some unused strings that have been laying around for years. Some may be individual strings and others from sets with gauges that I am no longer using, since I now like to use 9's on electrics, for the most part ? although I may have to go to flatwound 11's for a vintage Jaguar (that has sat for years, and I now want to bring back to service) to eliminate buzzing (saddles or frets, or who knows what ? with its complicated floating bridge). And also, if you have a few guitars like me, and you possibly strung one up with new strings and never used it for a few years, could the strings have gone bad just from atmospheric conditions (even if in a case) despite never being played other than for the initial tuning? By the way, I am also using Martin Folk Guitar Silk & Steel Standard Gauge M130 set for my acoustic that start at .0115 for high E. So in short, my questions are as follows:

1.Can unused/uninstalled strings deteriorate over time, and how badly.
2.Can unused, but installed strings deteriorate over time (despite the fact that the guitar has always been in a case), and how badly.
Song-Writer

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:36 am

The answer to this question will vary case by case, depending on gauges of strings, how and the climate of where the guitar is stored, the manufacturer and style of strings...

I'd just pick up the guitar with suspect strings, tune it, play...if it has trouble staying in tune and/or they sound dull or are rusted then you may want to change them.. Guitar strings would certainly be more suspect than bass strings. But bass strings and flats I usually don't change often at all, even when they are frequently played..because a duller tone usually won't matter and heavy strings are more durable.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 am

those Silk and Steel sets are nice sounding, but not very long lasting in my experience.

Basically the more air the strings are exposed to the more they are going to age while being stored. If they're in the usual paper envelopes, that is a lot better than being on a guitar, but not as good as being in a sealed plastic pack.

The plain strings seem to suffer the effects a lot sooner than the others. Plain strings also are the cheapest and the most similar from one brand to the next. So when in doubt, I install the wound strings from an old set and use new plain strings.

Flatwounds seem to bear storage better than rounds. Which makes sense considering that they last much longer on the instrument as well.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 am

i wonder if storing guitar strings in a ziplock with silica would work? or even rice?

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:37 am

hey, i bet the flatwounds have less surface area per unit string length! that would mean less exposure to the air! awesome

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:32 am

hahaha i really like the rice idea

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 am

nick_a wrote:hahaha i really like the rice idea
it'd probably be cheaper and easier to come by than silica...ill have to actually try it out.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:36 am

imma order up some pro-grade silica canisters and leave them around my place and offer them to people who visit. "hey, you wanna dessicate your phone a bit while you're here?"

http://www.adorama.com/ZZSGC.html?utm_t ... urce=gbase

what a way to "ADD VALUE" to the :ivlunsdystf experience, eh?

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I find the best way to store guitar strings is to immerse them in salt water brine, then keep them in a damp basement. I put them right next to my analog tape.

Seriously, though, I may have to look into those silica gel packs. Those would go a long way towards string or tape storage. I've been using the disposable gel packs that come in bottles of Mucinex. Lately I've been sucking that stuff down like it's something fun to do, so I doubt if I'll ever run out... but their build quality is a little sketchy.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:50 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:I find the best way to store guitar strings is to immerse them in salt water brine, then keep them in a damp basement. I put them right next to my analog tape.

Seriously, though, I may have to look into those silica gel packs. Those would go a long way towards string or tape storage. I've been using the disposable gel packs that come in bottles of Mucinex. Lately I've been sucking that stuff down like it's something fun to do, so I doubt if I'll ever run out... but their build quality is a little sketchy.
ha ha...that's so funny. me too! my mucous factory is working over time!

song-writer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by song-writer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:29 am

Hey Everyone,

I thank you for all of your replies. The information provided was helpful. I put this same query out on gearslutz.com and tascamforums.com. One reply I found interesting and worth passing on concerned lighter fluid to clean strings and preserve life. It is as follows:

A while back, I read a blip in Premier Guitar that regular lighter fluid (Ronson's liquid) does a great job of restoring strings. The article came from Dean Farley, the founder of Snake Oil Brand strings (an ex-employee of Dean Markley). I have never tried it myself, but I do know Dean has a true passion for strings. Obviously, I'd keep the fluid away from your guitar's neck surface if possible. I doubt your top brand string companies would recommend it because it would put a damper in their sales. Lighter fluid is very cheap !
Song-Writer

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 am

[rice] it'd probably be cheaper and easier to come by than silica...ill have to actually try it out.
Whenever I need silica gel packs I just go to the outlet mall near my house and ask one of the shoe stores there if I can take a bunch. I might get a weird look or two but they are usually pretty obliging. Once I even had most of the sales staff going through boxes with me grabbing up all the packs. It's a free/easy way to get them as long as your friendly and polite.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Oh, that's an AWESOME idea. Plus your tapes, strings, and Mucinex will always smell shoebox-fresh!
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com