pitch correction orgy: Auto-Tune vs Melodyne vs....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:22 pm

leigh wrote:
I don't know about using Melodyne during tracking, I wouldn't run any tuning software while tracking though (what if it glitches bad and ruins the take?).

Leigh
Thanks. You would have to devise a method like bussing the signal from the record take to Melodyne, or just bypass it until you needed it in between takes. Some "producers" who want the world of you ask for things like that when the vocalist is really bad (read inconsistent). So before moving on to the next line they may ask you to "Melodyne" it, and with the "talent" in the booth you'd better do it quick.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed May 02, 2007 8:57 am

UP because I have a project coming up soon with a four-man a cappella group and I know they are going to want some pitch correction of some magnitude. I do not currently have a pitch correction plugin.

I am running Cubase 4 on a PC. What would be a good solution? I'm leaning towards Melodyne simply because I don't believe it has anything to do with iLok.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Anyone? Anyone?

Beuller?
www.organissimo.org

jonnymo
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jonnymo » Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm

b3groover
PostPosted: Wed 02.05.07, 10:57 am Post subject: Re: pitch correction orgy: Auto-Tune vs Melodyne vs....
UP because I have a project coming up soon with a four-man a cappella group and I know they are going to want some pitch correction of some magnitude. I do not currently have a pitch correction plugin.

I am running Cubase 4 on a PC. What would be a good solution? I'm leaning towards Melodyne simply because I don't believe it has anything to do with iLok.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I think you'll want Melodyne as you are right about it not requiring an iLok. At least the Uno version.

Another good thing you may want to consider is that the not-Uno version of Melodyne handles polyphony, which I don't think Auto-Tune does...? OTOH if you're recording each part individually you could go either way.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Fri May 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Melodyne is far superior 'architecturally speaking' ccmpared to Antares...i havent used the waves stuff but i agree with joel.....they suck and 99.9% of their plug-ins suck ....yes even RenVox!!

Macros people ....Macros!!!!

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks, y'all! Melodyne it shall be. I appreciate it!
www.organissimo.org

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Fri May 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Definitely demo Melodyne first!

I love the interface and the great flexibility that it offers, but I'm worried about high frequency loss in the processed signals. I'm still demoing it, and haven't gone back for more critical tests, but my first impressions (and you'll see this from other users too if you search for it) was some loss of high end.

It's easy enough to A/B processed and unprocessed tracks... demo it yourself to see if it bothers you...

Leigh

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue May 15, 2007 9:32 pm

Well, I tried the demo for the "plugin" version of the software and I'm very impressed. Extremely easy to use interface and very powerful, while still sounding natural.

I did not hear any loss of high frequencies and I did A/B. But then again my monitoring situation isn't the greatest. But I think I will buy it... the only question is which version? I'm thinking cre8 might be better for the a capella quartet sessions, due to being able to edit multiple tracks at a time.
www.organissimo.org

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue May 29, 2007 5:09 am

So I've been using Melodyne Cre8 with Cubase for about a week and I must say, this software rules. I am very happy with the purchase, especially for this a capella quartet I'm recording. Being able to load in all four parts and edit them simultaneously is very very handy.

Thanks for the suggestion, guys!
www.organissimo.org

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Re: pitch correction orgy: Auto-Tune vs Melodyne vs....

Post by radiationroom » Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm

leigh wrote:I haven't used Auto-Tune since version 3 on Mac OS 9. Anyone care to sound off on the current state of the software?
The hardware version of Autotune has saved my butt on more than one ocassion... If the plug is anything like the hardware, I say go for it.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:22 pm

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Thought it best to resurrect this thread instead of posting new...

I'm curious what's a good choice for a pitch correction plugin for a project I'm working on. Basically I'm dealing with a "singer" who is Johnny Bowtie horrible. We're talking non-stop flat, weird turns, bizzaro pitchy... I need something that's gonna create a convincing performance in a very pop context, but I don't think hearing the auto tune effect would be appropriate for his music (that wasn't supposed to sound contradictory). Is Waves the way to go? I realize some products in this thread may be a bid dated so I'm wondering whats working for people now? After todays tracking experience , and speaking with the mixer from his debut record, I've really just gone for takes where I'm getting energy and the best phrasing. I'm hoping to not have to deal with rythmic corrections and just rely on tuning his vox, having a session singer dbl his vox low, stick maybe a 5th down in the chorus, blah, blah, blah.... somehow make it work. Thoughts?

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Melodyne

Post by obermorph » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 am

I'm personally using Melodyne these days. It is honestly sick.

You have to be careful though!

There are several versions, pick the one that works for you. I use editor. It works as a vst3 right from within Nuendo/Cubase (the daws I prefer) without any of that bridge crap and allows for polyphonic tuning. It is extremely natural sounding, and honestly I can fix people without them knowing that I have done it :lol:

Studio is cool, I have used it several times. It requires you to use the rewire bridge which is a bummer. It is however, 8 channels and does act as a standalone daw with plug in support.....that is cool. It also allows for creating harmonies...very cool.

Being careful.......

Higher bit rates and sample rates are a must if you don't want to "hear" it. I have great success at 32bit float, 96....but have not been happy at 24, 44.1/48.

Also, and this is UBER IMPORTANT!!!!! Melodyne "Grabs" the audio for tuning and moves it to another folder on your drive where it stores the "tuning". It is an absolute MUST to bounce your tuned audio back into your DAW. Trust me, it is not fun to open a session and have to retune a vocal (or a bunch of vocals) because its cache folder has been emptied.

That being said, I once used melodyne to fix a 32 bar violin solo in a stereo live recording. No one knew the difference, and it made me enough money to pay for the plug several times over.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:30 am

This is excellent info. Sounds like I will look into Melodyne over Waves tune for this project.

Thanks for a great post!

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 am

No problem (I think you are talking to me, though I may be wrong)

It is smooth as hell. He wont even know.

trick: it is all about the right click as it gets you to all of the tools VERY quickly.

Also, when you have first analyzed the audio that you wish to tune and you are ready to tune...make sure that you go to the menu and switch "pitch grid" to "no Snap".... sometimes you want it to be just a little flat or sharp because that actually sounds more in tune.

Unfortunately, every time that you open up the plug in editor, it will forget. A nuisance...