pitch correction orgy: Auto-Tune vs Melodyne vs....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 am

I am still using the Waves tune plug, though I do have the melodyne DNA for polyphonic sources, or whenever I want to do pitch and time in one plug for some reason.
I find melodyne a little clunky, and I get natural results from the Waves Tune editor flow and workability. I really like the ability to quickly and simply continue editing, and rescan on the fly, rather than working on a separated file from the session....
Anyway, Waves Tune is really good, actually.
I still use pitch doctor for strings and stuff once in a while as well. it just sounds really good.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 am

Also, and this is UBER IMPORTANT!!!!! Melodyne "Grabs" the audio for tuning and moves it to another folder on your drive where it stores the "tuning". It is an absolute MUST to bounce your tuned audio back into your DAW. Trust me, it is not fun to open a session and have to retune a vocal (or a bunch of vocals) because its cache folder has been emptied.
It does indeed record the vocals as .wav's and analysis files to a different folder, but it never purges the folder. The folders are all kept intact, dated and everything. The trick is when you open the first Melodyne plug in a session, in the plugin window's preferences change the root folder to one inside your session folder. All plugs initiated after that one within the same session will follow.
"Strawberry Fields was a fucking mess, we didn't know what to do with it. Then one day, it just all came together." -Geoff Emerick

http://www.anthonymcaruso.com

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 am

Dont' trust those damned folders.
If you are done tuning, BOUNCE THEM! Minus any other plugs, and at unity of course. Trust yourself, not a program.
Seriously.....

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 am

Printing the files is the normal thing to do for several reasons, but my point was more that yes, there are permanent files and not a cache folder that is emptied, you can direct them where to be stored from the get-go, and the user will wanna know this in case they take a session elsewhere and want to tweak a tuning without having to start the process from scratch. After I've printed files, I'll just de-activate the Melodyne plug, and if I need to tweak something it's as easy as turning the plug back on. And if I'm working somewhere other than my home-base computer, I know exactly where the files are....in my session's root folder.
Trust yourself, not a program.
Well, in this case I wouldn't be trusting myself, really, I'd be trusting the host recording software that I use to print, which seems just as safe/risky as trusting the plugin.

Distrust of the (Melodyne) program seems ironic when Melodyne resides within another program that does the exact same thing, which is record audio as digital files, and that somehow a printed track is "safe".

I suppose the Melodyne analysis file could be corrupted, I haven't personally run into that in several years of use, though I've had plenty of Protools session files and even some raw .wav's inexplicably curl up and die.
"Strawberry Fields was a fucking mess, we didn't know what to do with it. Then one day, it just all came together." -Geoff Emerick

obermorph
gettin' sounds

Post by obermorph » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:37 am

I have also noticed that it slows the save process down quite a bit. I normally stretch the capabilities of my machine pretty far with all of the plug in use. Waiting 30 seconds for it to save, because the daw is waiting for melodyne to save is just not cool.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:17 am

I use AutoTune EVO and Waves Tune.
Melodyne...no thanks. Clunky and takes the top end off.
And not like a nice convertible either...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Anthony Caruso
pushin' record

Post by Anthony Caruso » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:49 am

Yeah, the Melodyne "sound" always bummed me out but it was never a show stopper for me because the tuning always sounded good and I'm used to the workflow. Time to try out some of these other options I guess!