Propellerheads Record

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon May 23, 2011 10:04 am

Well I posted a topic on their forum to see if that gets a reply faster than their email support.

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 am

Jarvis wrote:EditEd4TV (very knowledgable about R/R) has a subgroup workaround. He hangs at Prop User forum.
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/for ... ay.php?f=6
ok I think I found it...

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... p?t=120889

the link there - didn't work...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=316143227806

http://www.baumanproductions.com/recordfiles/

Really cool! I will definitely start using this.
Last edited by DCrippa on Mon May 23, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am

kslight wrote:Well I posted a topic on their forum to see if that gets a reply faster than their email support.
cool I'll try to find it - can you post up what they say here in case I miss it?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 am

Didn't get a constructive response but I figured it out on my own. The I/O wasjust labeled different from what I'm used to.

Outside of my gripes about stereo tracks it's starting to make more sense, I'm liking the results I'm getting on this remix. Not sure I'd want to use it for cutting drums/etc but for creative edits and such it works and is pretty efficient.

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 am

I had the same apprehension at first (regarding editing) I still would prefer protools for a heavy editing session. But I'm starting to get used to it and like it a lot. Still have to master the way the comp takes works... pretty cool feature - and the fact that you can now sample in any sampler from any input is pretty cool as well.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I find editing in the sequencer pretty intuitive but there's more control editing using the tool window. Also I'm not a heavy hitter but R/R has never crashed on me.
Ivan the Threadstopper

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Tue May 24, 2011 3:33 pm

It has been rock solid for me too.

As for the editing it is pretty intuitive...I clearly need to just sit down and read the manual to learn more about the additional editing features.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 am

Another couple oddities I noticed last night. The session file I have is now huge...about 5.5gb. Which makes some sense because everything is consolidated (no folders of audio/fade files), however my stems that I imported into the session are only about 1.5gb in size...

Bouncing a song also proved moderately frustrating. Because I had routed my audio to 5/6 to use my ADAT port to monitor, when I bounced the audio it came out silent. When routed to 1/2 however it bounced normal. I think the proper workaround to this would be to use the Control Room outs to plug into 5/6, and leave master at 1/2. However it'd make more sense to me if there were a dialog box when you bounce that allows you to select which outputs to bounce.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Well, after a few hours with it, I provisionally like it. I love the easy integration with Reason's instruments and effects: works great. The ability to detach the mixer from the sequencer and move them around is quite nice. It all feels pretty intuitive.

I'm not sure about the consolidated-file thing. I always delete my bad takes--will I be able to do this? How are the wavs stored? Gotta read more of the manual.

The little tuner on each audio track is genius. I love it--this feature alone, and its simple implementation, makes my life SO much easier.

So far so good!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 28, 2011 1:18 pm

It seems to me that when you delete an audio clip in Record, it is ACTUALLY DELETED. That is, it isn't just removed from view, leaving a wav file somewhere behind--it is actually gone. And if you want to keep a lot of takes you just record over them and then edit in comp mode. Is this right? If so, I like it, but it is unusual.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm

I have not cracked the manual yet, but the save and optimize feature cleans up the extra bs created by copy/paste operations and such. My 5.5gb session went down to 2gb afterwards.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 pm

oh definitely read the manual. It is very clear and well written.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun May 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Jesus. I am in shock. Record has no crossfading except in an incredibly kludgy "comp mode", and has no auto punch-in.

NO AUTO PUNCH. AT ALL. OF ANY KIND.

I like it, but this is pretty fundamental. There is basically no way I can record drums in this program. I wish I'd realized this before I bought the thing.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun May 29, 2011 2:23 pm

How can a fucking DAW not have auto punch? It did not occur to me that this was even possible.

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:59 am

Hopefully a future update will address this - you should contact them. Are you sure there's no way? Is it possible to create a track to automate the record button?