First time recording in a church...pointers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 am

Yeah I'm thinking the 414's in ortf and another pair maybe a wide xy further back. We'll see! I'll post the result after Sunday.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 pm

dfuruta wrote:...if you've never used a Decca tree before the odds are good you're going to fuck it up.
Just curious as to why you think this?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri May 13, 2011 4:24 pm

GussyLoveridge wrote:
dfuruta wrote:...if you've never used a Decca tree before the odds are good you're going to fuck it up.
Just curious as to why you think this?
In my experience, it's harder to set up spaced omnis than near-coincident cardiods: there's more to worry about with phase relations, and it's easier to have too much room sound or too much noise from the audience. Add to that the increased challenge of placing 3 mics vs 2, and the difficulty of placing a tree?which takes up a good deal more space than a stereo pair?in a live setting, and it doesn't seem like the best choice.

At least, there's a lot more to go wrong than with an ORTF pair.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:37 am

Uh, you have probably already done this recording and moved on to other things...

Read! www.rycote.com/images/uploads/The_Stereophonic_Zoom.pdf

I've had good success with careful placement of ORTF-ish plus a spaced pair of omnis. There are also post-production techniques in MS processing which are trivial to do with digital that are also useful should you care to try them.
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:12 pm

How did the recording go? I imagine it was a great show.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Sorry I missed this the first time.

"Re: First time recording in a church...pointers?"

I woulda said, no devil-horns, don't quote Ozzy, leave the flask and the fluffers at home, and, eh, don't quote Ozzy. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

goose42
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by goose42 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah! How did it go?

I've heard of Sunn 0))), but I haven't heard any of their records or any of O'Mally's solo material. Does he set each of the seven amps up differently, or in some kind of concentric array (outside two are similar, the two inside that, the two inside that, and a fourth sound out of the one directly behind him), or all of them the same?

For that matter, was there any PA at all? I wouldn't think they'd need one, except for introduction/banter (going to guess there wasn't much of that).
Cheers,
Stephen "Goose" Trageser
bucketcitymobilesound.squarespace.com

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 am

Hey guys! This was an insane experience. Though my overall feeling of what I got is pretty meh. Stephen only played through half his gear which included 3 half stacks and 2-8x8 ampeg fridges with 5 Sunn heads. It was insane what came out of it. I stood outside for a brief second and he walls from the outside were vibrating and certain notes actually vibrated cars on the street.

I went with the ortf configuration about 6 pues back which was about 25-30 feet from the stack in the center and alittle to the left to let people pass by. During his warm up I got levels but was impossible to monitor due to the insane dbs goin on. So I just had to place them and listen back during the breaks. I'll post the link to the file which is well over 200mb so those patient e ouh can check it out. But I would have loved to been able to move the mics around a bit more. It turned out nice and wide but feel like it's lacking his tone and some phasing is goin on which might tell me I didn't have it in exact ortf. Either way a learning experience!
Last edited by audiosweet on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 am