I had never thought of iphone apps for recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ampguy
buyin' a studio

I had never thought of iphone apps for recording

Post by ampguy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:44 am

until this $20 voice processor app just came out.

Now to test it, it seems I need some kind of XLR or 1/4" input into the iphone. I'm guessing 1/4 mono adapter would be cheaper than XLR (I will use a mic pre to get the 1/4 line level).

Any suggestions on a reasonable adapter cable source?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 am

I don't record on my iPhone much except just with the onboard mic for little ideas, but when I've used a mic into it, I've used the iRig that a friend got me for Christmas. It's a 1/4" input that's made to plug a guitar into for use with the Amplitude application, which is an amp simulation app. I've plugged a mix to an XLR cable, into an XLR>1/4" adapter, into the iRig, that's worked fine, I just recorded into the Voice Memo application.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:36 pm

I heard some I/O peripherals that worked with the 3G/3GS don't work with the iPhone 4, does anyone have any first-hand experience of this?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 am

I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a 3rd Gen. iPod Touch, and there is a whole mess of great applications out there guys. Check into it, my iPod is full of cool music and recording apps that would have been unthinkable years ago...

GJ

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Check out MultiTrack DAW by Harmonic Dog ($9.95). 8-Tracks expandable to 24. Decent sound quality (although there's no internal way to reduce input gain on an iPhone). Internal EQ and compression which I never use because it's easy to export WAV files by WiFi to mix on a computer. It would be no fun to mix on because the interface is tiny.

This song is recorded in its entirety to iPhone, no direct recording, no external mics - only telephone receiver.

http://soundcloud.com/feierman/babycrone6511

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 am

Hi
I'm loving recording and making noises on my iphone. Copy and paste between apps is the best. Moog app, Jasuto app are tops for me.

+1 on MultiTrack DAW mentioned above.

here's a link for hooking up 1/4"or whatever and matching imp.

http://www.riotmode.com/cable.html

i have a mono breakout box version of what these guys make:

http://www.newsignalprocess.com/site/ns ... -overview/

and would like a stereo version but think i can build one myself. I also bought a homemade stereo version from a guy here on tomb but it made my Moog app crash and thats my main thing but it worked with other apps just fine?!?

BUT the sound quality going in and out of that 1/8" jack is just shit. I want an affordable way to bypass the internal DAC both going in and out in the same box, so far im going to get an Apogee $100 thingy for digital input, will let you know how it works out for me.

(long) Sidebar: I just had a baby, well my wife did, and since that meant quieter than usual nights for me it inspired me to assemble a little workstation around my iphone. basically a bunch of pedals, loopers, an effectron III, a sm58, and a bent sk1. the thing was the routing of it all fell into place so nicely. I have a/b switch between mic and sk1, whole thing goes through pedal chain into iphone. I would record a bunch of sounds, nonsense, riffs into Moog app. Find cool little loops, feed them back into pedal chain and record live drones and loops and vocals over this for about 3 -5 mins. I have an EP recorded of 5 tracks done this way (sounds like damaged child of Panda Bear and Dirty Beaches) but i've been using a lot of post processing to make them sound a little more easy on the ears. It's my Eraserhead. I might post when i'm done but i'm even scared to show friends as its probably not very good but sooo much fun to do.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 am

i have a blue mikey a friend gave me. it works on my 3g, but he said he never got it to work on his ipod touch. not sure why.

hes got some 4track recorder app that he records some pretty bad ass stuff on, honestly. i was impressed. he just uses the internal mic. really ratty sounding in a good way.

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 am

iamthecosmos wrote:I heard some I/O peripherals that worked with the 3G/3GS don't work with the iPhone 4, does anyone have any first-hand experience of this?
I had one of those Blue mics and it worked on my 3G but not 4G. Sounded like shit anyway.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:08 am

I have the newer version of the Blue Mikey (2.0), and I have been rather impressed with it.

GJ