Has anyone used Reaper as their DAW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sverderb
audio school

Has anyone used Reaper as their DAW

Post by sverderb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:07 am

I am a recording hobbyist and have used Cubase in the past (the 1.0 version that came with the Lexicon Lambda interface.

I downloaded the trial version of Reaper and have recorded with it, and since the license is $40.00 it seems like a fantastic deal.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it?

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:40 am

I love it; the price is great and their support and business model are excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:47 am

Lots of people around here use Reaper.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/search.php

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:46 pm

I heart reaper.
I know some people don't dig the interface but i'm used to it. I love some of the plugs that come with it. I guess i just plain ol love it. It's quite customizable as well.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 am

my main daw is sonar, but i use reaper on my laptop for ideas and smaller singer/songwriter type stuff. i love it. super useful and intuitive.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 pm

I think Reaper is a good sounding, very flexible DAW. I liked the demo enough to pony up for a license. That said, part of the philosophy is that is a very lean program (5MB download if I recall) that doesn't waste resources on fancy graphics or impressive looking plugin displays. It doesn't appear to have presets on the plug-ins or on the few included instruments, so if you want a sound, you dial it in. It does however run Direct X and VST plugs and instruments.

I also like the fact that it has a fiercely loyal user base and a fantastic user forum, which is a great resource.

Fencible
audio school

Reaper does have plugin presets

Post by Fencible » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 am

EasyGo wrote:It doesn't appear to have presets on the plug-ins "
Dude, this isn't quite right. Many of the plugins I've used come with presets, and if you need more presets you can save your own to be recalled whenever.

- Fencible.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Every day.. (well, almost)

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Re: Reaper does have plugin presets

Post by EasyGo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Fencible wrote:
EasyGo wrote:It doesn't appear to have presets on the plug-ins "
Dude, this isn't quite right. Many of the plugins I've used come with presets, and if you need more presets you can save your own to be recalled whenever.

- Fencible.
I get what you're saying, you can save your own presets. I guess some of the Jesusonic (or whatever) plugs are sort of presets in and of themselves. I just meant that the controls are mostly just numerical values that you dial in, rather than picking, say, the 'Vocal Comp' or 'Drum Explosion' presets.

Fencible
audio school

Re: Reaper does have plugin presets

Post by Fencible » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:56 am

[/quote]

I get what you're saying, you can save your own presets. I guess some of the Jesusonic (or whatever) plugs are sort of presets in and of themselves. I just meant that the controls are mostly just numerical values that you dial in, rather than picking, say, the 'Vocal Comp' or 'Drum Explosion' presets.[/quote]

Maybe we've been using different plugins. Here is a screen shot of me selecting a preset in ReaComp. Note they have helpful names and include some I've saved myself and some I downloaded from PipelineAudio. The ability to share presets is particularly cool I think.

davepinkham
gettin' sounds

Post by davepinkham » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:03 pm

I love Reaper! Learning how to operate it on a basic level was super easy and after 3 years of using it there's still plenty that it can do that I haven't tapped into.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:56 pm

My preset fields are blank, other than the ones I saved. Perhaps I don't have the full install? Hmm. Anyway, yes Reaper.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I've been using it as my main DAW for almost a year now, and I can't speak highly enough about it. Great software, phenomenal company.

I started with Nuendo and Cubase, which I used for about 6 years and enjoyed. However, I was beginning to get frustrated with the infrequency of maintenance updates and nervous about their dedication to the OSX platform, so I put my foot in the Logic 9 waters, which was a complete nightmare. I had downloaded Reaper in order to do remote laptop recording without taking my precious Cubase/Nuendo dongles to clubs, and in the process of playing around with it for a while, fell in love with it.

When I tried Logic, I was constantly battling bugs, unpredictable behavior, and whenever I figured out how to do something basic, felt myself wondering "why the hell did they make it like that?". My honeymoon phase with Reaper has been the opposite: it works great, and whenever I need to stop and figure out how to do something, I find myself thinking "Of course! Why doesn't everyone do it that way?"

I could go on and on, but I've got to go now. I'm sure I'll feel compelled to type more Reaper praise tomorrow.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm

i have exactly one and only beef with Reaper. First time i set it up (on a computer out in the woods with no internet connection to search for help on the web), it took me all afternoon and most of the evening to figure out where to go to assign my soundcard's inputs to DAW tracks. Smooth sailing ever since.
Village Idiot.

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

Post by A National Acrobat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Fantastic program!

Although I use Pro Tools in my studio, I run Reaper on my laptop for fun, remixing stuff and *gasp* vari-speed on a DAW!

And yeah, the people that run it are a huge reason to buy into it. Thumbs up.