Soundproof the attic? My Holy Neighbors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Soundproof the attic? My Holy Neighbors

Post by Leopold » Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 am

My space is in a two unit building, so if you imagine a rectangle, half is one unit, the other haf is my unit, which is also split into two smaller units, so my partner and I each have our own space in one suite.
We are good about scheduling our sessions around eachother so that hasn't been a problem. My space is furtherest on the left, then my partner's space in the middle and in the unit on the right a church just moved in. Yes, a church. This is an industrial area but apparently they decided it was the place for them.
So they are a very loud bunch, lots of hollering, the PA distorting and booming , full band etc...Fine
But they never spoke to us, until we had to approach them to try and work around their scheduled services. They are nice people but showed little regard in terms of talking to their neighbors about being loud etc...and don't get me started about them taking over the parking lot and stack parking to the point where they have boxed in our clients at times....
Anyway, our building shares a floor and an untreated attic. The main area where I get sound from them is the attic, i can hear it from above (it's not the good Lord.) So I'm wondering what the best way is to go about soundproofing.
I have some ideas but if anyone has some advice please let me know.
First off I was thinking R30, then capping the attic with soundboard or drywall? Then building a dividing wall in the attic.
Again, the center studio is a good buffer but leakage seems most evident from the ceiling.

I know the best option would be room within a room but I'm not sure that's feasible.

God bless,
Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am

"Holy backwards bizzaro-world scenario, Batman!"

There is such a thing as a "soundproof" wall, built in offices to decrease transfer of sound from space to space. Of course, it's not totally soundproof, but I'm wondering if you can research the topic, and apply the idea horizontally (as an addition to the floor/ceiling) instead of vertically?
maybe that, and some traditional treatment of the attic would do it...

What times and days are the services? Are you tracking live, or are you just mixing/sound-designing/midi-ing stuff, work like that? If you deaden, but don't completely soundproof, will that be helpful enough, or will it still mess-up your situation (if there is any leakage at all)?

Can you talk with the pastor or someone else about the sound and parking issues? When folks are approached and made aware, they often choose to be helpful.

Maybe you could offer to do some training for their soundcrew, in exchange for some basic courtesies?

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 am

Change from within...
Join their Church, then turn their loud asses down.
Just say : "It's so we can Hear the Lord, if he speaks to us"...

Or...

If they absolutely will not turn it down and absolutely will not talk to you about the issue, make your construction strangely "coincide" one time with one of their services. Bang the wall out of time to their songs... and watch what happens.

Just make sure your noise is made withing city ordinance laws, and not out of them...

"Do unto others..."
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, we're trying to deal with things, they did go from having services, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday night and Sunday mornings to Wednesday nights, Saturday nights and Sunday mornings after we spoke to them. We told them to try to keep one side of the lot available for us and have mentioned sound proofing but I'm not sure they are aware of how big of a headache this is for us, they've soldiered on while my partner tracks drums and just ignored it preaching away... Like I said, they are nice enough folks. They really need their own separate space though. One night they had a funeral, I rolled up to work and there was a hearse in the lot, my partner said he saw them having a wedding ceremony at 4am.....
Still, I have to figure out what to do on my end to soundproof, and eventually my partner is going to do the same, he's taking on the biggest brunt being directly next to them and sharing a wall....

Eddie

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Any idea about their long term space plans? Some of these churches set up in temporary locations while permanent gigs are being set up. Some are start ups that are waiting for larger congregations to move to bigger spaces. I know it's a drag, but if they only plan to be there a short while, it might be worth it to hold out.

But if your work is suffering, maybe not. There are lots of smart soundproofing people here. I'm just a smart electrical person. Not helpful in the least, I'm afraid.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 pm

No, it seems like they are here to stay, I know the lease for us was a minuimim three years. So I expect the same went for them.

Eddie

Ted White
ass engineer

Post by Ted White » Fri May 13, 2011 8:52 am

Eddie, have you developed a game plan yet? Insulation is intuitive but doesn't a whole lot, unless it's several feet thick. You really might want to look at a lot of decoupled, damped mass.
Soundproofing Company

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Fri May 13, 2011 4:34 pm

The PA is distorting? Sounds like a business opportunity, if you can get along with them OK.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue May 17, 2011 9:34 am

Scodiddly wrote:The PA is distorting? Sounds like a business opportunity, if you can get along with them OK.
Oh man, that's a funny situation because evey time we're there while thier band is in rehearsal or warming up they seem to try and "show us how it's done."

We're insulating the attic next week, the it'll be cutting concrete and building another wall.

Pray for us,
Eddie

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 pm

i'll take it the rapture didn't clear things up for you?

maybe a bit late for that joke, i don't know...