HD Native, a warning.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

HD Native, a warning.

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Recently upgraded to an HD Native system, and it really has disappointed me. It works just fine with one Lynx Aurora 16 channel converter, but the second I tried to involve a 2nd unit, it went bananas and gave me one error message after another.

I updated the firmware on the lynx converters to the latest versions and spent hours on the phone with Avid to no avail.

Huge fail.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 am

We've got Native running an Aurora 16 and an 8 with no such problems.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 am

Hmm, maybe I have either a defective card or it only has troubles with two 16s?

fuzz wrote:We've got Native running an Aurora 16 and an 8 with no such problems.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:53 am

Could you guys give us a little more background? What versions of the OS and PT are you running?

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 am

Maybe you already swapped out your digilink cables, but if you haven't then you should. I had the same problem with some 192s awhile back and it turned out to be a bad digilink going to the first 192. It took me a bit too long to figure out because since the first 192 worked I assumed the cable was fine.
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:17 am

Mac OS 10.6.3, and PT 9.0.2
fossiltooth wrote:Could you guys give us a little more background? What versions of the OS and PT are you running?

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 am

They both have their own digilink cable and HD Native port. You are suggesting I try two new cables?
mwerden wrote:Maybe you already swapped out your digilink cables, but if you haven't then you should. I had the same problem with some 192s awhile back and it turned out to be a bad digilink going to the first 192. It took me a bit too long to figure out because since the first 192 worked I assumed the cable was fine.

mwerden
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by mwerden » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:37 am

I didn't think this all the way through. For some reason I assumed you were daisy chaining units, which you can't do with Aurora 16s. Sorry bout that. Digilink cables are really shitty though, I would personally try new ones. Did you already run Digitest on your cards to make sure they're happy?
Instagram: @spaceacres
www.acres.space
www.mattwerden.com

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am

I actually am daisy chaining now that I am back on my TDM card, and the units are stable. You have to run the units in 16 channel rather than 32 channel mode though. I have spoken a lot with Paul at Aurora about this. Great guy, great company.

The Avid tech took over my computer over the net and I think he did a check to see if the card were happy, he didn't report that they weren't.

mwerden wrote:I didn't think this all the way through. For some reason I assumed you were daisy chaining units, which you can't do with Aurora 16s. Sorry bout that. Digilink cables are really shitty though, I would personally try new ones. Did you already run Digitest on your cards to make sure they're happy?

capone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by capone » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:54 am

There is a known issue running 2 lynx 16's as aggregate. From what I understand, each lynx actually has 32 voices and thus PT Native sees 2 lynx's as 72 voices and that is not supported by Native. I know they are working on a workaround for this. You should contact Lynx to get the exact story. This is a Lynx issue, not a PT issue.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Can't you simultaneously use the analog AND digital i/o on an Aurora 16 in PT? Couldn't you just connect the second Aurora to the first Aurora's AES i/o and have all 32 i/o in PT?
Last edited by chris harris on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Nope, you can run the Lynx in 32 or 16. Neither worked.
capone wrote:There is a known issue running 2 lynx 16's as aggregate. From what I understand, each lynx actually has 32 voices and thus PT Native sees 2 lynx's as 72 voices and that is not supported by Native. I know they are working on a workaround for this. You should contact Lynx to get the exact story. This is a Lynx issue, not a PT issue.

capone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by capone » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Very odd. It has been a couple of months since I spoke to Aurora, but at the time they were telling me that using 2 of the newer lynx's at the same time was not possible with Native due to the voice count. Interestingly, I have a pair of slightly older lynx's and they work with PT9 just fine in aggregate. Fun with computers...