quick Drumagog question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

quick Drumagog question

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 am

Am looking into getting the platinum edition for work on a current project. I read GH's review in Tape Op, have looked on the Drumagog web site, still can't find a clear answer to my question:

If I have a looped sample---that is, I'm working with tracks where the writer used some basic Ableton samples for his snare hits---and I want to achieve a more life-like performance---can Drumagog do this? Or will it just be reading those original, repetitive snare hits and duplicating them with newer, better, yet still repetitive hits? I'm assuming there's some sort of humanize function, but I just want to be sure before I drop the $$.
Alex C. McKenzie

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:47 am

If you are using a multi-sampled snare gog then it will have multiple samples to call on depending on velocity and settings. So the answer is basically yes it will give a more real natural sound since it uses multiple samples...

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 am

Drumagog will not change the timing of anything. The original intent was to replace drums that were played by a real drummer, but were recorded poorly or with an inappropriate set of drums. It wasn't intended to change the performance, it was supposed to preserve the performance and just change the sounds.

It will, however, not use the same sample for every drum hit. That will make it sound more real. Also, with drumagog 5 and a sample set that takes advantage of those new features, you will also be able to dial in room mics, overheads, bottom mics on snares, outer mics on kicks, etc... Which can bring more of a live feel.

The 'humanize' function on everything I've ever heard has always missed the point. A natural, human feel does not come from random inconsistencies. The best drummers that have the best feel are actually very consistent. What they do is play with the dynamics to accent certain beats. Also, they will play (for example) the snare a little behind or ahead of the kick and the hat. But in order to keep that feel, the drummer has to consistently lag or push the snare by the same amount the entire time. There is nothing random about it.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks to both of you. Actually found out after the fact that they offer a full-feature 14-day trial, so I'm downloading that right now.

FWIW, I find the humanize function in Logic to be excellent, provided you use it delicately. But that won't apply here, 'coz it only works for midi.
Alex C. McKenzie

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:00 pm

The best thing I have found for this is Toontracks "Drum Tracker". It will take audio and convert it to midi. Then you can export the midi to something like EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer. Or Logic or whatever. Then resequence the feel if you want. Superior Drummer is really "real" sounding. Takes a few steps this way but sounds the best IMO....

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Drumagog Platinum allows you to open the vst instruments from inside it. That takes the 'converting to midi' part out of it. Drumagog will also convert to midi.

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am

I didn't know that. Though I don't know about Drumagog 5, but the export to midi function never really seemed very accurate when I attempted to use it that way. Drum Tracker can export midi from a stereo audio drum loop and separate all the drum hits accurately including cymbals and hi-hats.. It's pretty cool and very accurate. I like to do this and then trigger just the room mics from superior drummer. I often have to record in a smaller room then I want so this is a pretty good work around to get a bigger sounding room with out use of reverb. I need to look into getting drumagog 5 as I know it has way more features...

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 am

So I downloaded the demo, played around a bit. Tough to really gauge it's usefulness, because the demo actually only comes with one kick and one snare (and nothing else). But it does seem like a powerful tool.

If I were to buy this, and make my own kits, can I also include room mics and OHs? Or is that a developer-only feature?
Alex C. McKenzie

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:29 am

Tragibigzanda wrote:If I were to buy this, and make my own kits, can I also include room mics and OHs? Or is that a developer-only feature?
You can make your own and you can decide what to include, room mics, overheads, bottom snare mic, outside kick mic, smashed verb, etc...

You can create anything you want. (or you could just save time and follow the link in my sig)