Moving a Studer A80 VU MKII? PNW machine techs?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trevorspencer
ass engineer

Moving a Studer A80 VU MKII? PNW machine techs?

Post by trevorspencer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:11 am

Little new here obviously, blah blah!

I recently stumbled upon a *great* deal on a Studer A80 VU MKII, and need to move it about 2 hours up the I5. It's got to go up and down quite a bit of stairs, so I'm looking for any advice in moving this particular machine. Maybe some precautionary procedures before putting it over some bumps on the road?

Also, I've worked with a couple techs in the Seattle area, but I'm curious to peoples opinions on tape machine techs in the NW.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 am

Ever moved a tape machine up a flight of stairs before? You're in for a grueling day of work. In all honesty, I wouldn't consider this a DIY scenario. What you should do is take out all the cards from the machine, pack them up real nice, then hire the best moving company (LLC, with insurance) that you can afford.
Alex C. McKenzie

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 am

This os one case where spending a couple hundred bucks on a pro moving situation, does pay off.

And coincidentally, this is the part where everyone skimps, and regrets.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 am

At this point, you're probably considering the pros and cons of moving this machine yourself.

Pros:
- you'll feel like a real man for doing it yourself
- you can pay your buddies in pizza and beer for their help!

Cons:
- potentially serious damage to your back and/or feet
- potentially serious damage to your tape machine
- potentially serious damage to the space (a runaway Studer could easily put a hole in the wall)
- the distinct possibility that due to an obscenely heavy piece of equipment, spaces that are difficult to navigate, and a body that is most likely not built for this sort of work, you are unable to actually move this thing up the stairs

Hire a pro, eat the cost, and have fun with your new Studer!
Alex C. McKenzie

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:23 am

I would like to respectfully suggest that for this task, you seek out a qualified piano moving company. People that load moving vans with furniture and boxes don't seem to give the appropriate consideration to Swiss pieces of engineering. People comfortable with moving $20K pianos are usually a little more cognizent of the value of their charge...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

trevorspencer
ass engineer

Post by trevorspencer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:36 pm

This was exactly the response I was looking for - enough to push me to considerably open my wallet! Piano mover is also a great idea.

Any more insight on what I should do with the tape machine itself before I get ready to move it?

Any local tech recommendations? I have to move it North from Seattle - would it be a bad idea to have it serviced then moved? Then I could avoid paying for someone to drive all the way to where I live...

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:44 pm

Move the machine first, then dial it in when it's in the new home.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Definitely wait until you're all moved in before you get it biased and calibrated. As for techs north of Seattle, I would start looking in Olympia. Both the analog-inclusive recording program at Evergreen and Calvin Johnson/Dub Narcotic are apt to be good resources.
Alex C. McKenzie

trevorspencer
ass engineer

Post by trevorspencer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Word. I've worked with Alan Garren (sp?) who does a lot of the work at Dub Narcotic when I worked at Bear Creek Studio. Also worked with Jay from Avast! in Seattle. Both nice dudes that I expect cool work from, but, just wondering if there are any other wizards out there!

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Isn't one of the Chrisses from Death Cab fame on the board? I know he's real knowledgable and active in analog work.
Alex C. McKenzie

Capt. Tripps Ballsington
audio school graduate

Post by Capt. Tripps Ballsington » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 pm

I've dealt with Condor Electronics in Seattle a couple times. They've seemed to know what they're doing with my machines, though I've heard other people grumble about them, I think related to guitar amp work. Don't know if they do outcall, might just be in-shop work.

Calvin used to have an outside guy come in to do his machines, might have been the Alan referred to above. The current Dub Narcotic tech is a dude named Bob, who is now the recording teacher at Evergreen. I don't think he's worked on Studers before, and he's probably quite busy, but here's his website: http://www.bobschwenkler.com/

Good luck with your new machine!

trevorspencer
ass engineer

Post by trevorspencer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks for all the input so far!

A quick question to add to moving this - is it okay to put on it's back during transport? I decided to go the piano mover route (great suggestion), and the mover purposed this instead of strapping it to the wall of the truck.

Thoughts? I don't know a reason not to...but maybe there is something I'm not thinking about here?

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:47 am

Hmm, good question, and I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. Nick?
Alex C. McKenzie