What Version of OS X is Best for Music Producers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dasreinfeld
audio school

What Version of OS X is Best for Music Producers?

Post by dasreinfeld » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I saw this post on Synthtopia & I'm not really sure what to make of it. It's pretty good timing as Apple just announced that they'll be releasing Mountain Lion soon.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... producers/

I know that it's probably not best practice to update OS upon release, but what do you guys think?.... Is there any validity to the question "What Version of OS X is Best for Music Producers?"

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Impossible to answer, because it depends on the software you want to use. You have to go by the software manufacturer's compatibility list.

Having said that, if you're one major version back, you should be pretty safe. I think just about anything will run on Snow Leopard by now.

It also depends on how you use your computer. If it's just you, and a little downtime isn't going to hurt, then feel free to experiment. If you're dealing with paying customers, though, you need to be way more cautious.

IMO, the only "rule" is that you definitely do NOT want to go straight to a new release the day, week, or even month it comes out. Check with your software vendors, and don't switch until they officially support it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:17 pm

As long as its compatible that's all that really matters. I'm still on 10.6.8. New OS releases are pretty ho-hum for me, until my software isn't compatible. There definitely is no reason to be the "beta tester" and get the latest version day 1, that's for sure.

dasreinfeld
audio school

Post by dasreinfeld » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I like your perspectives.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am

I should also mention the other side of the coin: people who cling to very old software because, "hey, it still works".

That may be true, but you might also be missing some really cool and useful features in the newer versions. Even worse, when you're outside of the manufacturer's support window, you won't be able to get help if you ever need it. Everyone stops supporting their old versions at some point.

Like it or not, upgrades are a part of life with digital. You have to find the balance of old vs. new that keeps you up-to-date with useful features, while avoiding the problems of brand new releases. I really think the "one major version back" thing I mentioned earlier is a pretty good rule to follow. By the time you're ready to upgrade, the worst of the bugs should be gone, and you won't be left in the dust on the newer features.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Now we all have to wait for either House Cat 12.0, or Alley Cat 13.0

Dan Richards just killed mountain lion 10.7.x

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:36 pm

^:(
John Jeffers wrote:I should also mention the other side of the coin: people who cling to very old software because, "hey, it still works".

That may be true, but you might also be missing some really cool and useful features in the newer versions. Even worse, when you're outside of the manufacturer's support window, you won't be able to get help if you ever need it. Everyone stops supporting their old versions at some point.

Like it or not, upgrades are a part of life with digital. You have to find the balance of old vs. new that keeps you up-to-date with useful features, while avoiding the problems of brand new releases. I really think the "one major version back" thing I mentioned earlier is a pretty good rule to follow. By the time you're ready to upgrade, the worst of the bugs should be gone, and you won't be left in the dust on the newer features.

I'm in the old digital realm of Pro Tools 6.4 TDM. I haven't come across a circumstance yet that has held me back with it. It still compatible with newer session files, have plenty of plug ins that still rule. Plenty of soft synth that still rule. It plays well with outboard gear too. Nothing has come out digitally that has really convinced to upgrade. Until I have an extra $6000 sitting around and something really really cool happens with digital, I'm good.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Bootcamp windows7 64 bit :rofl:
is it beer 30 yet?????

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:45 pm

Ditto-- Sonar Producer 6.

But that mountain lion (the real one)-- Holy $#@#$%^^&%$!!!!

No wonder they kill people. Those aren't pretty little kitties or even bobcats, that's for sure. What do you think that joint weighs, anyway?

GJ

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 am

I have an old G5 and Powerbook both running OSX 10.4.11 with Digital Performer 4.61, Peak LE, Live 7, NI Komplete 5, tons of other stuff. It all works fine and It's never moving from where it is.

I also run a new MacBook Pro (needed for my graphic design work) running OSX Lion with DP7 and I'm building a similar setup on it. Since upgrading all of the stuff from my G5 to the MBP will cost well over $2000, I've decided to simply keep the old setup humming for now. I'd rather spend cash on analog, real world stuff than software at this point in the game. So instead of upgrading my Waves, Izotope, NI, Ableton, Bias, PSP, etc etc software I've managed to acoustically treat my entire 600 sq ft space, have all of my amps repaired/serviced, add to my monitoring, pick up a few new guitars and bass, buy a Roland Juno 106, add to my mic collection... etc. Sure I'll move everything to my MBP eventually, but I'm way more into hardware that I'll have forever than the newest latest and greatest upgrade that'll break half of my recording software.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Brett Siler wrote:I'm in the old digital realm of Pro Tools 6.4 TDM...It still compatible with newer session files.
Actually, no it's not. Pro Tools 10 introduced a new file format (PTX) that's incompatible with earlier versions of Pro Tools. I was reminded of this the hard way when one of my clients took a session we were working on to a video post house. I forgot to "save as" PTF, and they couldn't open the PTX session because they weren't using Pro Tools 10. Needless to say, I felt terrible, and my client lost a few hours of time trying to track down someone in the area with version 10 so they could get the session open. Just something to be aware of.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:16 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I won't have to send sessions to people and can just send the WAV files.