short delays, destined for vinyl?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

austin
takin' a dinner break

short delays, destined for vinyl?

Post by austin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:25 am

Question for those of you who master for vinyl:

I've become a fan of the technique of applying 20-30 ms of delay to a guitar or keyboard and panning it opposite the original signal. If a mix that uses this trick is destined for vinyl, should I be concerned about any weirdness/difficulties for the ME?

I'm just thinking about the fact that both sides of the groove will be asked to reproduce similar (but not identical) information at almost (but not quite) the same time. Which seems like it could be a recipe for trouble, but... maybe 20 ms is long enough that it's no big deal?

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 pm

Good question.
I'm no ME, but I don't remember any problems with Jeff Beck's (Truth) "Ain't Superstitious" when it was on my turntable.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 am

it should be just fine.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:15 pm

From what MEs have told me, stereo delays involving really, really low frequencies from bass instruments can cause a needle to jump right out of the groove. But if you're talking about a guitar, that should be fine. That's a pretty normal thing and was done quite often in the days when LPs ruled.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 am

Phase issues can also cause the needle to mis-track. Be sure to check your source and delay in mono to be sure you're not causing any problems.
Otherwise you should be fine.

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks guys!

I have been checking in mono and I think all is well. It's amazing how much the "tone" is affected by the length of the delay.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 pm

austin wrote:Thanks guys!

I have been checking in mono and I think all is well. It's amazing how much the "tone" is affected by the length of the delay.
Yup!

They nailed it above. It shouldn't be a problem unless your'e doing it to low frequencies, and even then any vinyl-cutting mastering engineer will just end up cleaning that up for you. Nobody who knows what he's doing is going to risk screwing up his cutter head. Those things are almost completely unfixable at this point.