Lets mod the Alesis Micro Limiter!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Jim Williams wrote: I did add local psu .1 uf bypass caps and some feedback resistors had small mono ceramic caps added to reduce bandwidth
Would this reduce the amount of frequency bandwidth that gets compressed? Just out of curiosity why would you wanna do that? Does it change how the compressor reacts to certain frequencies (like not compressing lows, or highs well) or just too lower hissy noise?

I just bought another Micro Limiter for 32 bucks, and came up with a lot of neat ideas for this project.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:46 pm

It's common for designers to omit feedback phase compensation caps when using low bandwidth opamps like the 07x series. They are tolerant of the stray capacitance that builds up across the feedback and input resistors due to their low 2 mhz bandwidth and fet inputs.

When you replace those with higher bandwidth parts the phase margin can be decreased leading to peaking on square waves or even oscillations using feedback resistors above 3k ohms. The small value feedback cap is chosen to roll off at above 200k hz. That avoids any phase shift in the 20~20k hz audio band and removes out of band noise. It's high enough to pass dog whistles and bat radar but it doesn't affect the sonics for humans.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:14 am

ah nice! Thanks for the info.

Blue Jinn
audio school

Post by Blue Jinn » Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Came across this thread googline microlimter mods.... Anyway, wondering if any power supply upgrades were in order as well. 9vac in doesn't seem to give it much headroom, or am I off base here?

Seems like 12vac or even 15vac to get higher rails? (I'm assuming a lot here haven't even opened one yet) depending on the internals replaced/upgraded would be of benefit?

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

From the schematic here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... ic=93813.0

It's using a voltage doubler for +/- 12V rails.

I'd check what the rail limits are for the VCA before moving them any higher.

Jim's mods will give you more bang for your buck.

Followup edit:

The datasheet says "max supply allowed across the device is 25V." So there ya go.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Fri May 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I have a MicroEq (mono 3-band parametric)
Who wants it for free?

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Who wants it for free?
I'll PM you some postage stamps.

:wink:
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 am

The Scum wrote:From the schematic here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... ic=93813.0

It's using a voltage doubler for +/- 12V rails.

I'd check what the rail limits are for the VCA before moving them any higher.

Jim's mods will give you more bang for your buck.

Followup edit:

The datasheet says "max supply allowed across the device is 25V." So there ya go.
FYI - When Jim modded my Micro Limiter a few years ago, he changed the power supply too. It was apparently an important part of the upgrade as he made sure to remind me not to forget to send it with the ML.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Alright, I am reviving this. I bought an RNLA and took one of my microlimiters out of the rack. It has some problems on the output pot but to my surprise when I opened it, I think it may have already been modded or at least had some power supply adjustments of some sort. I am going to pull another one (I have three - yeah I know, don't ask) and compare them then I will take some shots of both of them and post them up on the site.

Then I will try to see if I understand Jim's suggestions and then try to implement them. I love the damn things but the noise is a bit much. There are times I would love to use one but its not a garage rock tune so I can't deal with the noise. So all I want to do is lower the noise. If I can successfully do that, then maybe I will try something crazy.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:14 pm

Maybe I got a lemon but I actually have one that isn't that noisy. I used it has one the Mix Buss Master for a hardcore album and it sounded awesome. That said I also have one that is noisy as shit. I would love to just lower the noise on it and keep the cool tone too.