Please help me understand aux systems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Please help me understand aux systems

Post by banana brains » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Hello,

I just bought a Tascam M-520 (first mixer I have ever owned). I'm trying to understand the aux system.

My questions are (and I think these are applicable to any mixer, not just the 520):

1. Does the aux send "split" the signal, i.e., take an exact copy of the channel signal and route it to the aux out jack?

2. If so, what is the aux gain for, especially if you are going out post fader? And, what is the aux return volume for? Why not just have the one or the other? And, then what about the volume control on the device that you connect to? Seems like a lot of gain stages.

Thanks,
Seth

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:18 pm

The Auxiliary send, as it is called, is for sending a signal to another output. When usedlike this you can use one aux for one effect, and send any channel(s) to it.

Say you want to use a reverb for a vocal and for a guitar.

Just patch the aux send to the input of your reverb unit, and patch the output of the reverb to the Aux return on the console.

By using the aux send level knob on the channel, you control how much signal goes to the reverb, thus how "wet" it gets.

Go to Mackie's website, they have an excellent beginners tutorials and manuals and stuff for guys like you, just starting out on consoles.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 am

Aux sends can also be used to create headphones mixes by connecting the aux output to a headphones amp.

The aux outputs can be used to send any signal or mix of signals out of the mixer for any reason you can think of. they can be used for effects sends, monitor mixes, to feed a recording device, etc...

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for the replies.

I think I understand the practical application of aux sends: used to blend signals for effects, create cue mixes, etc. I guess I'm trying to understand the signal path in a more precise way.

So, if the signal is going post fader to the aux out, are both the fader and the aux send control effecting how much signal is reaching the aux out?

Are there two signals at this point? In other words, did the signal get split after the channel fader so that one signal is going to the aux out and one signal is sent to the master out?

Thanks,
Seth

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:59 am

The signal is split either way. You have your normal channel signal and then you are splitting off a copy of the signal.

Now you can have pre-fader or post fader aux sends. The pre-fader sends are split off BEFORE the fader and are not affected by the fader; so no matter how you adjust the fader the signal stays the same level. You adjust the volume of the "send" strictly by the Aux.

With post fader, the signal is split off after the fader. Fader adjustments adjust how much signal is fed to the aux. So both the fader and the aux affect the level of the "send".

I believe that is correct, although I have been known to reverse those.

My first console was also the M-520 although I have forgotten more about it than I ever knew I think?

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:26 am

An aux is like another little mixer stuffed into your mixer. Its inputs are the same, though they might or might not be affected by the main fader.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

tdrop wrote:
So, if the signal is going post fader to the aux out, are both the fader and the aux send control effecting how much signal is reaching the aux out?
Yes
tdrop wrote:Are there two signals at this point? In other words, did the signal get split after the channel fader so that one signal is going to the aux out and one signal is sent to the master out?
The channels signal will appear at both the master out and the aux output. It's not two different signals, it's the same one that shows up in two places.

Post fader is great when using the aux as an effects send. This is because once you set the ratio of wet/dry signal in the mix, it stays the same even when you turn the channel up or down.

Pre fader auxes are good for monitor mixes, because you don't want your mix moves to affect the monitor mix.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think I got it.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Sorry, i spoke too soon. I do have one more question.

My mixer has what tascam calls "aux gain" on each of its 20 channels. Then it has four straight line faders labelled "aux master faders".

Is the "aux gain" the send, and the "aux master fader" the return?

Thanks,
Seth

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm

The aux gain at the channel sends the signal to the aux masters, then out of the mixer. That is so you can get an aux mix sounding good, while still being able to turn the aux mix up and down without having to adjust all the aux sends individually.

Here is a link to the manual for that mixer. It has all the block diagrams and explains what everything does. http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/tascam%20m520.pdf

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for the link to the manual. I actually have the manual, but some of it i can't visualize so I'm trying to talk my way through it.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:04 am

I think you are making it more complicated in your head than it actually is.

When you turn up an aux, it sends the signal from the channel to the aux master. When you turn up that aux master, it sends that signal to the aux output. That is all there is to it.

There is really no difference between an aux output and any other output on the mixer. That is the nifty thing about mixers, you can use any output to feed anything you want.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Ok, thanks.

So, another question.

On my mixer there is no way to control the aux return signal (no volume knob). The aux return input requires a line level signal. So, I have to control the aux return from the device I'm using.

That said, I thought a line level signal was pretty strong. How come it doesn't sound louder than (or at least as loud as) the signal it was blended into?

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:24 pm

tdrop wrote:Ok, thanks.

So, another question.

On my mixer there is no way to control the aux return signal (no volume knob). The aux return input requires a line level signal. So, I have to control the aux return from the device I'm using.

That said, I thought a line level signal was pretty strong. How come it doesn't sound louder than (or at least as loud as) the signal it was blended into?
Not having makeup gain after the aux return is pretty common. If you're converting from balanced to unbalanced, you're going to lose 6 dB.

If you have unused channels, run the outputs from your outboard device back into a channel and use its trim for make-up gain. That's pretty standard for things like reverb where it's really handy to have a fader for it during mixing. Just set it to 100% wet and mix in as much as you need.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 pm

To set it to 100% wet, do I turn the aux gain all the way up and leave the aux master fader in the shaded area?