Any Mix Engineers with DSD recorders

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Any Mix Engineers with DSD recorders

Post by ghaines » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 am

I'm in the process of writing up the KORG MR-2000S DSD recorder review for the next Tape Op. We have two mixing engineers set up with their own Korgs and I have one in mastering. I'm looking for one more engineer who can provide me with mixes captured at 24/96 AND on the KORG at 1-bit 2.8 sample rate. Unless you want to hire me, I would prefer we keept it at 1 to 3 songs.

The goal of the test is to provide you and the client with masters (treated the same) but using PCM and the DSD as the source. The question is: can you hear a difference? If so, it is a big deal to you?

Please write me either PM here or email garrett AT my webdomain treelady.com please put DSD in the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett H.
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 pm

TASCAM makes one as well called the DV-RA1000HD, might be nice for a comparison :)

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:22 am

Sorry for kibitzing, but, is there a reason you're using 2.8MHz and not 5.6? Seems like a lot of people prefer 5.6MHz (although, I have no first hand experience).

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ghaines » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm

[The following is hearsay and not official research] Two reasons for the difference: First, I've been told by people with PhD's and patents that there is either no audible difference between 2.8 and 5.6. Second, I've been told by very senior mastering engineers that 5.6 sounds worse than 2.8 due to some filter difference. [/end hearsay] When I asked Korg they said I could use either without reservation. Part of the review will be to look into this.

RE: the Tascam DV-RA1000HD... I've used the first Tascam DSD box that they put out five years ago and I liked it. IIRC - It also burned CD/DVD Media. As to why it's not in the review, simply put, I was assigned the Korg by itself (along with an exploration of their bundled Audiogate software), and it was very difficult to work the logistics of getting more than one Korg out for loan and short of buying a Tascam (plus not having permission), I can't write up the Tascam as part of THIS particular assignment. That does not preclude writing it up down the line, obviously. Many of use use and like Tascam gear.
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:53 pm

interested in what you come up with.
Any chance you could include all the korg dsd units, including the older portables?
I was very excited when they first came out, but they haven't seemed to get much traction.
Also, whatever happened to the korg dsd daw?
dont turn around

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:55 am

People seem to be missing the point that this is not a "gear shootout", but a magazine review of one very specific unit.

zorf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zorf » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:34 pm

thanks for pointing that out. sorry.
dont turn around