ear trumpet labs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:26 pm

williamsongs wrote:Am I hallucinating, or did the listed prices go up substantially since this thread began last month?
Wow! Edwinas were $350 a little while ago...

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Scodiddly wrote: Anyway, some neat-looking designs. I'm curious about the frequency plot shown for the Edwina - how was that measured, and how much smoothing of the trace? If you've got a test chamber that smooth I'll be totally jealous. 8)
Sorry, I don't think I got notifications on this thread.

The published plots are from measurement data from Cross-Spectrum Labs, 1/3rd octave averaged, which is the only form they provide the data. They also sent an unsmoothed graph as a graphic, which is a little bit more wobbly but clearly they do have a nice chamber. My own measurements are indeed not that smooth-looking, though substantively the same. We get used to reading our own measurements, right? But I don't feel like I could publish them, only ones from an outside lab. The full Cross-Spectrum reports on Edwina and Josephine are available if anyone wants them.

And yes, the prices did go up this month. Sorry if it seems like a bait & switch, but the $350 was an introductory price while I figured out production and a lot of my costs. It just wasn't realistically sustainable for a completely hand-built item. All the feedback I got said the price was ridiculously low for the quality and sound.

Regarding matching: All the Edwinas are within +-2db of the shape of the response curve throughout their range (generally well within), and generally within 2 db of each other in absolute level. When I sell pairs I do my best to match them, and I think they're pretty darn close. I have my measurement curves saved and I could try to match a second one given a serial number.

Thanks for the interest.
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs
"Microphones of Distinction"

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 am

Any chance the edwinas are featured here? http://houstonramblings.typepad.com/ -- the Joe Henry and Lisa Hannigan video?

edit: Why yes they are -- after posting I went to the Ear Trumpet Labs web site and found it first in the video queue -- http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/gallery/videos/ -- congrats!!
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 am

llmonty wrote:Any chance the edwinas are featured here? http://houstonramblings.typepad.com/ -- the Joe Henry and Lisa Hannigan video?
Yep, that was done with a pair of Edwinas. Glad you found it, I love that video and I think it's one of the best showcases of their sound. Live recording and live video are applications where they really shine.
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs

inasilentway
gettin' sounds

Post by inasilentway » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I tried out the Edna, and it sounded lovely but it had pretty low headroom. It couldn't handle life as a drum overhead, and with vocals it overloaded (in a way that could be cool in the right context, but was definitely not intentional). Also tried it as a guitar amp mic for a live show, the sound was great, especially paired with a dynamic, but on a small stage it picked up tons of bleed.

I really liked the sound and that it's a local builder, and I bet it's fantastic for acoustic instruments and bluegrass/folk/jazz scenarios. But I was shopping for drum overheads for rock and roll. Do any of the others handle higher SPLs?
"some kinds of love, the possibilities are endless"

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm

I have recently revised the circuits of the Edna & the Edwina to drastically raise the headroom. There was indeed a clipping issue in one version of the circuit with loud drum sources or very close miced rock vocals. That's fixed in the current versions. I'd encourage you to get in touch with me to try them out again, I think you'll be pleased. Edwina in particular is used by a lot of folks for drum OH.
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

I thought my edwina was clipping on occasion. Can i send it in to be fixed?

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:13 pm

blungo2 wrote:I thought my edwina was clipping on occasion. Can i send it in to be fixed?
Absolutely. Email me. I'll pay for shipping.
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Cool, thanks!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Got my upgraded edwina back a while ago, but haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces until the other day. Recorded some loud guitar with the capsule pretty close to the cone and it sounded great.
Thanks Phillip!