your favorite workhorse delays

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:28 pm

ditto on the effectrons. I personally use a Deltalab Super Timeline, which is similar. As far as coloration...just keep the input a bit lower and use moderate output volume, then use a clean line amp to boost or increase the gain in a DAW. I use the line input on my Summit Audio 2ba-221 for this alll the time.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:32 am

ott0bot wrote:ditto on the effectrons. I personally use a Deltalab Super Timeline, which is similar. As far as coloration...just keep the input a bit lower and use moderate output volume, then use a clean line amp to boost or increase the gain in a DAW. I use the line input on my Summit Audio 2ba-221 for this alll the time.
yeah, that's been the biggest issue, like not being able to gain up the signal into my reverbs or chamber amp because I have to dial down the signal at the Effectron so it doesn't distort. I'll use something like an RNLA with the threshold all the way up so it's just an amplifier.
get up with it

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Re: your favorite workhorse delays

Post by Dakota » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 am

telepathy wrote:no deep space textural freakout action
But... that's all the fun!

:P That being said, another solid undersung workhorse is the Yamaha D1500 - heavy built, +4 balanced i/o or guitar level, big LED display for milliseconds setting, some patch memory, adjustable LFO with sine and square, LPF. Used to be classic for predelay to plates or springs, or any studio or venue general echo/delay use. A caveat: back rack depth, these extend pretty far. Mono. A pair is cool, these don't sell for big bucks, not currently in fashion.

And +1 on the Korg SDD-1200. Stereo, great tone and LFOs, crazy amounts of "patchbay" access on the back to the i/o's and feedback schemes. HP or LP in the feedback loop. Cons: no memory or readout of precise time, dense front panel knob controls that aren't instantly intuitive until you've spent time with the unit. Definitely not +4, does guitar level or kinda -10 weak line. I just put some board or preamp gain after it.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:45 pm

2x Korg SDD-1200 (one for thickening toms, the other for synth bass)
Korg SDD-3300 on FX buss for keyboards
Korg SDD-2000 on vocals FX
Yamaha E1010 used for haas on guitars
ADA STD-1 - really flexible flange/chorus/room ambience device
2x Moogerfooger MF-104 (the originals)
Mogerfooger MF-106M ClusterFlux (you CAN use it for short delays)

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:46 am

Darlington Pair wrote:Digitech RDS 900, Ibanez DMD-2000, Peavey Ultraverb, and of course... Space Echoes.
Resurrecting an old thread here. I was just visiting my folks up in MA, and found an old DMD-2000 in the eaves of the house; haven't even thought about this thing for maybe 15 years. At first glance, it appears to be in great condition. I've also got the foot switch, the manual for the footswitch, and the original packaging---but no manual for the actual unit. Thought I might take 'er out for a spin at my next band practice, but I'm hoping for a little help with the output section...

There's three output options: dry/mix/inv. mix. ??? I vaguely remember this unit having a phase inversion function for the effect signal (and that it was useless unless I was running two amps), but I can't remember if I was sending out of the dry or mix outputs, or both?

Also, any chance you remember how to save settings for foot switch recall?
Alex C. McKenzie

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 am

Deltalab Effectron ebay ad $355

wow. These have gone up a bit.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 pm

shedshrine wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deltalab-Effect ... 2a16559509

wow. These have gone up a bit.
Oh yes, it's the flower pot guy. His stuff is always 2-3 times above a realistic price.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:01 pm

See here, no affiliation other than a fellow Tapeop'r.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Flower pot guy! Guy's giving Devo a bad name.

VVV- You went on and did it. You really did it. Your avatar is evil.

Checked out your link.

I have a 1024 and a supertimeline, but I still salivate when I see one of those blue beauties. Now that's a good price.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm

:lol:

Flowerpot guy's nuts!

I pais US$5 for one of these a cuppla years ago ...

12bit crappy goodness.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Post by hunterchristy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:07 am

yeah dude. i've been eyeballing a few things on ebay the last few weeks, and f---ing flower pot guy...he's got lots of good stuff, but i think he's growing (and smoking) something else in those pots...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 am

As far as pedals go, you can't go wrong with the Strymon El Capistan. It's stereo, does the old tape delays really well, sounds awesome, and can be as simple or complex as you want it to me. Also, it doesn't break down like my old Echoplex EP-3, but you can get the sound of old tape and crazy wow and flutter out of it if you want. $300 new, less used, reamp through it.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord