Pinkerton

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Not sonic related, but if you remove the CD tray, there is a piece of artwork behind the CD. It is an print of an antique map showing the Pinkerton near China as I remember.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:51 am

For sure- those are just some reasons why people like Pinkerton. Don't feel like it's your bad taste if you don't. It's a drag to feel like you are supposed to like something or do something a certain way in the studio.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I don't think anyone should HAVE to like Pinkerton. For me, it was one of those records that demonstrated very clearly the difference that engineering can make. The blue record and Pinkerton sound miles apart. I always knew people in the booth could make a record sound different from another guy. Pinkerton, for me, represented HOW different.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Pinkerton is a total touchstone to me. I can see how someone could not like it, because it is RAW and RAWK. I think it sounds like a great band wanting to make and emotional, sonic and musical statement. I'll never tire of that record. N.E.V.E.R.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I pulled out one of my Pinkerton CDs and put it in the car after seeing this thread. I still love every moment. I think part of what it touches me and other musicians is that it sounds like what we THINK our bands sound like in the rehearsal room.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Perfectly said, Tony. And you're right: Pinkerton is a rock musician's rock album. I'm glad that not every album sounds like this. But I'm glad that this one does.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

fossiltooth wrote:Perfectly said, Tony. And you're right: Pinkerton is a rock musician's rock album. I'm glad that not every album sounds like this. But I'm glad that this one does.
Thanks man. I love and concur with your sentiment.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 am

drumsound wrote:I pulled out one of my Pinkerton CDs and put it in the car after seeing this thread. I still love every moment. I think part of what it touches me and other musicians is that it sounds like what we THINK our bands sound like in the rehearsal room.
Absolutely spot on.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:54 pm

T-rex wrote:
drumsound wrote:I pulled out one of my Pinkerton CDs and put it in the car after seeing this thread. I still love every moment. I think part of what it touches me and other musicians is that it sounds like what we THINK our bands sound like in the rehearsal room.
Absolutely spot on.
Danke

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:29 pm

losthighway wrote:
fossiltooth wrote: Incidentally, I have a video interview with these two very different Weezer engineers (Fridmann and Shaw) coming out the first week of October. I'll try to remember to post it here when it's out.
Please do.
Promise: Kept.

http://trustmeimascientist.com/2012/10/ ... nstrument/

lpkyer
audio school

Post by lpkyer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm

It's one of my favorite albums. It does sound pretty distorted and dark - and it does give it a different flavor. Goes well with the songwriting IMO.

nzkobc
audio school graduate

Post by nzkobc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Pinkerton is probably the most important album of my life. It's the definition of rock music for me, and functions as a starting point for most rock recording I do. Boomy/crunchy drums, quiet vocals, gnarly bass. The only thing I'm not crazy about on that album is the rhythm guitar sounds, but they do function perfectly so I cant be mad about it