Let's get small

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Let's get small

Post by alexdingley » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 pm

So, I've been recording for a good long bit, and I love gear... sometimes people pay me just to share my love of gear: I'm a recording consultant for a few artists in the Philadelphia area, and about 8 years ago, I setup a system in someone's home when they sort of outgrew their existing equipment.

Back in '04 he was using a Mackie d8b with a Tascam MX2424 as a deck. He only used one mic and just did vocals and lots of overdubs. He had a keyboard setup for composition as well... and it was fairly simple.

I was brought in to modernize the system and at the time put him on Nuendo 2.0 with a Mac G5. All these years later, that system still runs. it's tied to the Mackie d8b via MOTU lightpipes and it runs pretty well. But recently he said something to me that is cause for a potential revamp again.

"The studio is great now, but I feel like I got the most writing and creating done when I just had a little 16 channel mackie board and a tape machine."... "can we look at a way to simplify my recording setup again?"

So... now I have a big challenge: What's the simplest recording system out there? I don't mean what's the easiest-to-use recording software... I mean system. Do they even make studio-in-a-box rigs anymore? I think he's looking at getting into something where he doesn't need to use the computer much (if at all)...

I could see using another 16/24 channel HD recorder and a plain old mixer again... really, I'm open to any ideas here. I've been doing some research, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

PS

Post by alexdingley » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh... and once we setup the new gear (probably by year's end) there will be a massive gear sell-off here in philly. (Mackie d8b, Mac G5, great FX racks, synths, samplers... and a custom studio desk.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

I sometimes feel like they should be paying me for saying this, but take a look at the Zoom R16 or R24.

I use the R16, mostly as a recorder, but it has all kindsa digi-effects and EQ and compressors, etc., records 24 bit, 44.1 *.wav to SD cards, has built-in pre's and a Hi-Z input, headphone and monitor outs, etc.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, I also have a favorite stand-alone; although I have a computer rig with Sonar X1 (just upgraded) and Sound Forge, and also two analog tape machines, I usually prefer using my Korg D3200. Great machine. But it was recently discontinued, due to the general public's lack of interest in anything that is not computer/DAW-based. Your friend can probably find a bunch used/cheap, but new will be more difficult, as will finding reasonably-priced replacement parts and tech support.

Please keep us informed re: awesome gear sales...

GJ

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm of no help here, but just wanted to say hey from another person in the Philadelphia area. I'm curious to see what comes of this thread, I definitely understand the idea of limits helping in the creative process.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 am

Would an iPad with software, camera connection kit, and interface be too "computery" for him? Just thinking outside the box.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm

I would really try to get to the bottom of what is hampering his creativity; it may have nothing to do with his setup.

I was at my most creative 15-20 years ago when all I had was a Yamaha 4 track and an SM58, but I wouldn't go back to that setup unless I went broke and that's all I could afford.

People go through different phases of creativity depending on what's going on in their life. I wrote most of my best material when I was struggling financially and working multiple jobs, and scrapping just to get by. I wouldn't want to go back to that place in my life, even if it did mean writing great songs.

Find out if he truly has a workflow issue with his setup, or if he's just not currently as inspired as he was at that time in his life. Maybe he just needs some inspiration rather than a simpler setup.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

After having to sell off all my outboard/analog gear due to health reasons a couple years ago, I had to go to the 'puter route to continue recording/songwriting..It gets the job done, but I find myself less inspired ( not so much of sound quality, even though I do miss my outboard sound.. :wink: )..With the unlimited technical stuff you can do with the 'puter sorta makes it "oh hum", while the limited technical stuff with analog when you really nailed it, gave a sense of accomplishment..!..Where in now, you pretty much can get a really good sound right outta the box per si' with todays technology ( knowing modest computery) as back then( analog) you had to be a little more "agile'? to pull a system together and get a good recording..As always YMMV...

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

simple

Post by alexdingley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 pm

wow! thanks for all the input folks... I scheduled a meeting to talk about the process, so that we can really figure out where his head is on how much is too much. I think it will be a good talk. About two months ago, I got him to pick up an iPad w/ Apogee Mic and we installed Auria. It's pretty solid... and fairly simple. I think it might have had something to do with his recent revelation.

I'm planning (if he keeps liking the Auria App) on putting together a little interview piece about it. He's a uniquely creative person and I value his thoughts on production even though he doesn't really consider himself much of a techie.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Yeah, I also have a favorite stand-alone; although I have a computer rig with Sonar X1 (just upgraded) and Sound Forge, and also two analog tape machines, I usually prefer using my Korg D3200. Great machine. But it was recently discontinued, due to the general public's lack of interest in anything that is not computer/DAW-based. Your friend can probably find a bunch used/cheap, but new will be more difficult, as will finding reasonably-priced replacement parts and tech support.

Please keep us informed re: awesome gear sales...

GJ
BTW, Gregg, thanks for the thought on that Korg unit. In my quick search of the web for hardware recorders, it seemed like a winner... I just don't know how my client would feel about buying a used piece of tech. But I'll keep it in mind.

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 am

I switched over to a Tascam 2488neo (which is now replaced by the DP-24), and it's served my low-rent recordings well.
Mike

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 am

How do you like it, E? ("Sonny, Red; pass me another one'a them-- balanced 1/4" cables.")

A few years back, I was looking into stand-alone HD recorders, and was considering the neo, but I saw a lot of bad reviews and unresolved customer service complaints. Has it been a pretty trouble-free, hearty machine for you?

GJ

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:24 am

I've had no issues with it... been using it for well over a year now.

There's been no software updates or anything required...
you do need to play around a bit to export mixes in 24bit.
(but, that's my only complaint)

My understanding is that the previous model 2488 (no neo) required a bunch of updates and was prone to some hiccups.

-Mike
Mike

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am

I can relate with the dude. I started on a roland vs1680. the editing was so clunky on that thing that i just used it like a tape deck. i think i only had three or four mics. it was a super productive time! for me *as an artist*, i definitely thrive with fewer options if im recording myself. i rediscovered this a few years back when i decided to record an album on a tascam 238, just for fun.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

How do we feel about the JoeCo Black Box

Post by alexdingley » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 am

Hey there,

The Short form post
Has anyone out there use the JoeCo Black Box? Using that might actually solve a lot of problems because it looks simple, and you just keep plugging in USB drives to it and capture .BWF in folders to that. It seems like that plus a small-format mixer might be a good solution for my guy... just don't know if anyone has familiarity with them and can speak to the reliability / ease of use.

The Back story, in case you've been reading the thread from a few weeks ago
So my client and I finally just lined up time to chat this morning... We talked about the period in which he was most prolific and what his gear setup was at the time.

Turns out, he really felt the most fluid and creative when he was using the following setup:

1 Mic w/ Preamp
1 Keyboard/Synth with just about a hundred sounds
1 Mackie 16 channel mixer (probably an old CR-1604, not the big 16x8)
2 Alesis Adats, ganged together.
1 Panasonic DAT deck for mixdown.

I'm assuming from his description of how he operated everything, that the Mic Preamp's output was somehow multed across one of the adats and the stereo keyboard was multed across the other adat... because he never had to route or patch anything. He just armed a track and hit record.

So my challenge now is to find a way to get him into a setup with no (or as few as possible) menus, or data dials. I've been looking at the new gear market, and it looks like it's "go big or go home". The only devices that I'm seeing as stand-alone multi-tracks are things like that X-48 from Tascam or comparably large devices...