Blumlein on drums?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:16 am

So Tony and Chris, How far away from the kit on the Blumlien? Thanks in advance!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 am

Sculli wrote:So Tony and Chris, How far away from the kit on the Blumlien? Thanks in advance!
In that picture, I think they are about 3-4 feet from the drums.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 am

Do you hard pan those mics? (sorry a bit of a rudimentary question :oops: )

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:52 am

Gonna definitely try that out! Thanks again!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Sculli wrote:So Tony and Chris, How far away from the kit on the Blumlien? Thanks in advance!
For me, it depends on the room. I generally like them a good ways away from the kit. In a smaller room, that might be six to eight feet, but in a larger room, it might be ten or fifteen. If I'm using a Blumlein configuration directly in front of the kit as a replacement for "traditional" overheads, it would be closer--maybe three or four feet away. But usually, I'm using the setup I described as an ambient component, so having it a similar distance to the kit as the overhead mics can lead to phase issues sometimes.
losthighway wrote:Do you hard pan those mics? (sorry a bit of a rudimentary question :oops: )
In a Blumlein configuration, 95% of the time, yes. In that other 5%, I might be bringing them in slightly narrower or something, but equally on both sides, assuming that I've got a balanced image recorded with them to begin with.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks Chris!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Sure thing!

CG

ScottEvans
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ScottEvans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm a big fan of Blumlein on drums, especially in a decent sounding room. But I like roomy drums. When I get it right, a Blumlein pair is a big part of my drum sound.

The "line between the kick and snare" thing is critical with Blumlein -- and any other stereo drum mic'ing technique. I like to lean on distant mics a lot for drum sounds, so I try to get the center correct without digging into spot mics. If kick and snare are going left to right, I feel like I blew it.

Of course YMMV greatly depending on 100 factors.
scott evans :: tape op senior contributor :: antisleep audio :: kowloon walled city

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

cgarges wrote:
drumsound wrote:
bobschwenkler wrote:My main point of concern is that with the amazing stereo imaging that Blumlein affords you'll want to take care in getting your snare and bass drum well centered.
The solution to this is to not use the center of the BD as L/R center, but to think of a line that goes through the BD shell and SD head on the diagonal. I do that with OH and coincident room mics. It keeps the BD and SD centered as one would mix close mics.
here's a pic
I use this exact same configuration, but on the opposite side of the kit (snare drum/hi hat) frequently.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'll spend excessive amount of times with this.. its embarrassing.. same with OH's in ORTF. I'll sit there and adjust and adjust.. then have drummer play, and adjust some more... OCD..

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:05 pm

Going to try this with a couple of Coles 4038s a couple of weeks.

What I'm trying to figure out is how much coverage am I going to need overhead. Doing 70s trucker CW mcall type of stuff, with a 5 piece in a 10ft celling 12 x 16 room mostly dead.

Last time we did a 414buls in omni right in the middle of the kit 18" above the snare. Picked up rack toms, kick and snare all very evenly. I'm hoping with the omni and the blumlien I should be covered. Then top/bottom snare, kick in and out, maybe a ride mic. He floats his ride cymbal so far right it's in another county.

Can't wait.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho