Just picked up a Tascam 38. Now what?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Just picked up a Tascam 38. Now what?

Post by jrdamien » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Got it for a song: $125. Any suggestions on a mixer and tape?

What sort of quality should I be and not be expecting?

I have a 388 to use as a mixer but ideally would like something more portable.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice!...hopefully. Provided it's been serviced and everything on it (and in it) works. Otherwise, you may have opened up a can of worms my friend, LOL.

Anyway, Quantegy 456 is great tape, not only for tracking (IMO) but for dumping your digital mixes to.

Quality? well, it's a consumer deck, so...don't expect it to sound like the 58 or an Otari or something like that. Still cool though.

In any event you'll probably have great fun with it and you should at least enjoy the sound. I like the sound of electronics from that era, that TEAC sound.

Not sure how to comment on mixer options. I love my ZED14 right now for that price range and footprint/size. And I have a lot of praise for the pre's and overall performance of the ZED.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:58 pm

At the very least, I think you could resell it for more than you paid depending on condition. 388's are well respected for being fun and having a unique lo-fi sound that works just right for certain types of music. And there are fewer and fewer around. If you can't get it going easily enough, you can for sure sell it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:33 pm

The Tascam M-508 (I believe) is the perfect mate to the 38. I just picked one up to pair with my friend's 38 for $50 (needing some TLC). Its pretty huge for an 8 channel mixer, its about the size of...the mixer section of the 388 (without the reel). And its kind of heavy. If portability is a concern, you probably want something modern, but unbalanced I/O could be irritating to deal with.

radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

info

Post by radmike » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm

hey, i just got one too! it was working when i got it, next day not so much.
im ordering a pinch roller and capstan belt for it soon. I wanted to check the fuses too. Does anyone know the easiest way to access them- not a ton of info online regarding getting to the fuse panel. I know where its located, but do i get there from the front, back or side?
good times