Comparing drum miking techniques

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Comparing drum miking techniques

Post by eh91311 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

I was browsing over at recordinghacks.com and found this article again by Matthew McGlynn: http://recordinghacks.com/2010/04/03/dr ... omparison/. It is a good description of various overhead drum miking techniques and the timeloop mp3 (http://recordinghacks.com/sounds/sample ... meloop.mp3) is a great audio comparison of the discussed techniques. Very informative.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 am

So I checked this out. Pretty cool.

One note though - I know there is no right or wrong way to do things really when recording and if it sounds good then it is - but I was always under the impression that when you did an XY the capsules were supposed to point away from one another and not toward as in their first photo for XY or Coincident Pair.

Superstition? Myth? Bad Information?

I'm not trying to talk down that article on recording hacks at all - just curious if what I've learned was bologna or not.

Also - Jecklin Disc! - Anyone using those?

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:28 pm

GussyLoveridge wrote:So I checked this out. Pretty cool.

One note though - I know there is no right or wrong way to do things really when recording and if it sounds good then it is - but I was always under the impression that when you did an XY the capsules were supposed to point away from one another and not toward as in their first photo for XY or Coincident Pair.

Superstition? Myth? Bad Information?

I'm not trying to talk down that article on recording hacks at all - just curious if what I've learned was bologna or not.

Also - Jecklin Disc! - Anyone using those?
I found this chart online that shows the typical stereo mic placements, including X-Y and ORTF. The article's X-Y pic shows a closer mic placement but the included arrows indicate the intended capsule pickup direction.

I thought it was interesting that the author excluded the Glyn Johns drum miking technique.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:33 pm

I dunno. I'm admittedly drunk but the mic placement seems weird in those pics. Plus he/she said that M/S:

Part of the problem is that the ?side? channel sounds like a room mic, not like an overhead; I?d rather my stereo image not come at the cost of trashing up the sound of the kit.

The point of M/S is how both signals work together. You can't just listen to the side to get any idea of the sound. At least especially not after it's been matrixed. It's just the same signal out of phase with itself. It needs the Mid signal added into the equation to create a stereo image.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am

I was not so interested in how his miking techniques looked, more into the timeloop mp3 and how the mic techniques sounded on the drum kit he was recording.

Mike's Mix Room
audio school graduate

Post by Mike's Mix Room » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:17 am

I haven't seen the videos yet, but I'll check 'em out soon.

With regards to what Roy Matthews comment about the video's take on M/S: I agree that M/S is an odd choice for OH's particularly because the side channels face away at 90 degrees from the center of the kit. There is not usually much stuff that far out on the drum kit so the mic hears more ambience than anything direct. That would tend to make it sound more like a "room mic" or ambience control. Using X/Y or OTRF will always give you a clearer, more direct sound with a better stereo image if that's what you're after.

Indeed M/S is weird sounding when broken into its components but even when combined it's not really ideal for OH's at that distance from the kit.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:01 am

Mike's Mix Room wrote:I haven't seen the videos yet, but I'll check 'em out soon.

With regards to what Roy Matthews comment about the video's take on M/S: I agree that M/S is an odd choice for OH's particularly because the side channels face away at 90 degrees from the center of the kit. There is not usually much stuff that far out on the drum kit so the mic hears more ambience than anything direct. That would tend to make it sound more like a "room mic" or ambience control. Using X/Y or OTRF will always give you a clearer, more direct sound with a better stereo image if that's what you're after.

Indeed M/S is weird sounding when broken into its components but even when combined it's not really ideal for OH's at that distance from the kit.
Actually to disagree a bit, yes the Side mic faces 90? away from the kit. However, when combined with the Mid mic the stereo image is focused toward the source. With the proper alignment and blend of the Mid and Side signals the resulting stereo image can be identical to XY.

I will agree that at that distance from the kit you won't get much of a stereo image of the kit. But that would be true with any stereo pair.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."