Dumb low budget monitoring question......speaker level i/o

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandemic
pushin' record

Dumb low budget monitoring question......speaker level i/o

Post by pandemic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I have a Sony 12" active subwoofer that I have been using with my near-fields for awhile now by utilizing the speaker level inputs and outputs on the sub. I do not have a studio monitor controller (though I would like one) with a dedicated "sub" out so this is really the only way that I can set it up. everything sounds fine with no noticeable difference to the monitors with or without the sub enabled but I am curious if this is just an absolutely wonky way to do things.....
In my old studio I had the luxury of a Mackie big knob but this new little space is definitely a low budget room and I simply cannot afford a monitor controller right now..
I ask because I have a second set of monitors that I like to check things on. I have these hooked up to a headphone out on the console and I switch back and forth by turning things on and off. I recently picked up an Adcom speaker selector from a thrift and last night I hooked it as such...

DAW outputs ......... to Monitor Amp.......to speaker level inputs on Active Subwoofer ........speaker level outputs from sub........to speaker selector (adcom gfs-6) .........to A and B monitors.

Now both sets of monitors share the same power amp and the sub is engaged with both of them (still have to turn the sub off and on as needed).

This seems like a convoluted way to do things but it is all I can think of..The good part is the Adcom does not seem to degrade the sound unless I engage the "speaker protection" which I won't do since I only use 1 set of speakers at a time..

So my questions are...
1. Does the speaker level in/out on an active sub degrade the sound of the "top boxes" in live sound parlance..
2. Am I going to damage anything other than my ears with this set-up

So far I am pretty happy the way mixes are translating into the outside world with my set-up (Sony 12" sub and RSL2600 mini mons and KROK's)
although I do miss my JBL LSR4328's.
Good Luck At Any Cost

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Console headphone out to monitors.
I didn't know you could do that. Are they powered monitors?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:16 am

I think yer alright, and if it sounds good ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:47 am

Console headphone out to monitors.
I didn't know you could do that. Are they powered monitors?
No.....The headphone out went to a separate amp which powered the speakers. With the current set-up I eliminate the second amp and run everything of my trusty old Yamaha P2100. If this setup works I can sell the other amp and finish some other things in the studio....

VVV...I agree. I was more worried about weird loading issues. There is a "protection" button on the adcom for using more than 1 set of speakers at a time. It really dumbs down the signal I think. Not that I'd use it anyway but it seems to really roll off the high end. That could just be me reacting to the relative volume change too though. I only pushed the button with 1 set of speakers going. Again...moot. I am only going to use 1 set at a time.
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 am

Now that ya mention, tho', a few times I have had two sets of monitors on w/out realizing it; they almost make like a third set.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 am

16 sets of Realistic Minimus 7's hanging from the ceiling like a splayed array at a concert. :D
Good Luck At Any Cost

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Hmm.

I sdo have two lava lamps, and a cuppla pairs of Optimus/Minimus 5's around the house.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.