Alesis Adat Recorder vs AI3

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Alesis Adat Recorder vs AI3

Post by flapmaggot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 pm

I have a Tango 24 that I light pipe into my RME Multiface II which gives me a total if 16 inputs (8 Tango and 8 RME =16). I can use any pre-amp with in any of the 16 inputs with this config. Unfortunately, the Tango 24 gave out. Here is the catch. I have an ALESIS 8 track machine that I can light-pipe into the RME and I can still switch around pre-amps.

Just wondering if the converters in the ADAT 8 track are the same as the Tango 24 and the ALESIS AI3. I am also wondering (don't laugh) why black lion audio wouldn't get into the business of upgrading old ADAT 8 track machines now that you get them for nothing and especially if the converters are the same as the AI3 - which is a product that they specialize in modifying.

I'm using a soundcraft M8 as additional preamps into the Tango 24 just in case I need extra inputs but might have to sell it for an octopre to lightpipe into the RME.

Any thoughts?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 am

You can always contact BLA if you have a special project in mind, however if I had to guess the reason they don't offer it is because you're talking about upgrading decades old digital hardware..and the problems associated with that... and is so old the only upgrade they could do is "replace" the converters rather than "upgrade" them. In other words, even if you got the ADAT machine for free probably not a good bang for buck.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:57 am

I can vouch for the loveliness of AI-3. It is the clock source at my house. The catch is I'm stuck at 48khz. It's a pretty nice downside. I am clocking a MOTU traveller, and cascading from that a MOTU 828 mk. II. I get the occasional hiccup, but I suspect that has to do with the power situation at my house.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:57 am

ADAT usd Crystal 53xx ADC's and BurrBrown 1700 DAC chips. AI3 uses Alesis converter chips as does the HD24. Masterlink uses AKM as does the HD24XR.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

BTW - I light piped out of the ADAT machine just using the converter last night and recorded some drums. It didn't sound bad - not great, but good enough to mike a hi hat or an extra tom if needed.

Mic > Board > ADAT > RME

Now I am debating on getting an AI3 and having it modded or an octopre. :roll:

Thank for the "input"!!

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:09 am

I originally thought the AI3 converters that also came in my HD24 sounded pretty good.

Then I bought and installed the EC-2 kit with AKM 4393 DAC's and 5393 ADC chips.

No comparison, the Alesis chips mask audio and are a filter next to those mid-level AKM converter chips.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 am

I still use my HD24XR for my I/O into a lightbridge, no complaints here, other than a little bulky to use in my portable rig compared to modern stuff...but I don't think i could do better for the money.