Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Re: Channel Strip Plugins

Post by T-rex » Fri May 03, 2024 12:13 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:23 am
Another really good one if you have an Apollo is the UAD Century Tube channel strip. It has a mic pre, a subtle EQ and an opto compressor.
I've been using that lately at home for vocals and acoustic instruments.
That opto strip is really good, I’ve used that for some thin vocals and it’s nice. That came with the native deal that UAD did a while back, so you can get it without the Apollo.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat May 04, 2024 8:06 am

roscoenyc wrote:
I use the UAD API strip on the kick a lot. For something like that it's great having everything there in one instance.

The SSL one is good too. They both get used a little more when I'm mixing something that I didn't record as I look at them as 'problem solvers'.

Another really good one if you have an Apollo is the UAD Century Tube channel strip. It has a mic pre, a subtle EQ and an opto compressor.
I made a 'starting point' bass drum preset on the UAD SSL strip. It gets altered a lot, but does put me at a good spot simply as I start a mix.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat May 04, 2024 8:19 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:06 am
roscoenyc wrote:
I use the UAD API strip on the kick a lot. For something like that it's great having everything there in one instance.

The SSL one is good too. They both get used a little more when I'm mixing something that I didn't record as I look at them as 'problem solvers'.

I made a 'starting point' bass drum preset on the UAD SSL strip. It gets altered a lot, but does put me at a good spot simply as I start a mix.
Yeah, that's how I use them too. Starting point.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat May 04, 2024 8:42 am

same. A plugin "template" maybe gets misconstrued, but that's what it is. a starting point. it doesn't mean cookie cutter. When I'm doing drum tracks it's a place to start. Or when I've got a singer songwriter and we're doing 20 songs that we want to sound somewhat similar, I'm using the same starting point because they were all recorded the same way. The fine tuning then happens later because inevitably the player shifts around while playing, etc.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 06, 2024 4:59 pm

+1
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

andychamp
audio school graduate

Post by andychamp » Tue May 07, 2024 1:39 am

Here it's a toss-up between
- Brainworx Amek 9099, where I find the EQ's Auto Listen feature an absolute time-saver.
- SSL´s own CS2...easy to use, sounds like you expect it to, AAND you can do that compressor thing (which the Amek can't)
André
commit/contrast/context

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 07, 2024 7:03 am

T-rex wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:13 pm
roscoenyc wrote:
That opto strip is really good, I’ve used that for some thin vocals and it’s nice. That came with the native deal that UAD did a while back, so you can get it without the Apollo.
I put this on the bass buss last night and my god did it just take it to another level. Fucking Yeah!