Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: New Pro Tools, who dis? "FREEZE"

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 5:45 pm

T-rex wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 5:28 pm
So I dove into the monthly subscription for now and I am really digging it. The playlist comping is unbelievably easy, especially for drums.

Anyway to your post I went through all the Avid plugins and found a few that were pretty great.
The Mooger Fooger, Real Tape effects, the Studio Reverb actually had some great sounds with a simple interface. Lo-fi is shockingly good as is the Sansamp.
Welcome to the KoolAid party!!

I've been trying to stay away from the AVID plugs for the same reason Digital Drummer mentioned above. I'm not sure if I'm interested in paying yearly for support after buying a perpetual license, So I may skip every other year if everything is working fine for me, which means I'd likely lose access to those plugs, but I am really digging the BBD bucket brigade delay that looks like a Memory Man.

The playlist comping saved my ass last night. I've got a record that's still in "all songs in one long session" mode while I finish doing edits and setting up the rough mixes, etc. Every time I get done with a tom track per song, I make a new playlist before moving to the next tom or song. I think my cat jumped up on my computer keyboard and made some shit move around, all of a sudden, rack tom was in the wrong places in a couple songs??? wasn't like that last week. Switched from "waveform" to "playlists" and bam!!! I easily was able to pin down a history of when things were right and quite easily move them to the "main" track. Fucking brilliant.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 06, 2024 6:08 pm

Yeah, I don't do subscription anything, so I am not sure if I'll end up doping a perpetual license or what. What is the cost of the support thing for a year?

Honestly, other than some just plain stupid stuff, like not being able to arrow up and down between tracks and having to create a group every time you want to move three faders at the same time? I dig the workflow. The routing makes sense, the mixer window Is really configurable whereas Logic wasn't when it came to busses or wanting to just move something or delete something for clarity.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 6:12 pm

T-rex wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:08 pm
Yeah, I don't do subscription anything, so I am not sure if I'll end up doping a perpetual license or what. What is the cost of the support thing for a year?

Honestly, other than some just plain stupid stuff, like not being able to arrow up and down between tracks and having to create a group every time you want to move three faders at the same time? I dig the workflow. The routing makes sense, the mixer window Is really configurable whereas Logic wasn't when it came to busses or wanting to just move something or delete something for clarity.
I believe it's somewhere around $200-$300 a year, depending on "sales".
Logic, yeah, I struggled helping out a friend, teaching him some things, on his Logic... I still couldn't wrap my head around the buss situation with Logic.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 06, 2024 6:21 pm

I love logic and it's definitely better at some things for sure, but the buss situation ain't one of them. I finally built myself a nice mixing template to use as a starting point and that was when I really figured out how like you just can't do certain things once you've committed.

Hey on that, I have a PT question: I have my drums in a folder track. All good, I can collapse it and mute and solo. But I also sent all my drums to a group track (several, but for simplicity sake) and that group track has a Mute button but the solo button is greyed out and when I solo I get nothing. I THINK the group track is an Aux track? It shows as a bus in the output of my snare track. Should that have been an audio track?

Put simply, when I want to send 10 tracks like drums to one drums sub-mix buss, how do I do it? Highlight all the drums tracks, click new track and select???

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 pm

T-rex wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:21 pm
I love logic and it's definitely better at some things for sure, but the buss situation ain't one of them. I finally built myself a nice mixing template to use as a starting point and that was when I really figured out how like you just can't do certain things once you've committed.

Hey on that, I have a PT question: I have my drums in a folder track. All good, I can collapse it and mute and solo. But I also sent all my drums to a group track (several, but for simplicity sake) and that group track has a Mute button but the solo button is greyed out and when I solo I get nothing. I THINK the group track is an Aux track? It shows as a bus in the output of my snare track. Should that have been an audio track?

Put simply, when I want to send 10 tracks like drums to one drums sub-mix buss, how do I do it? Highlight all the drums tracks, click new track and select???
Aux track is correct. You can either send your drums to the aux track via the output selection above the fader, and the input on the aux track as the buss nuber your sending them to, or use an insert and send them via a pre or post fader send.
My drums all go to bus 1-2, and then my drum bus (aux) is set to input bus 1-2 and output either Main 1-2 or whatever pair I want to send them to if sending the stem to the console. I also send kick, snare, toms to bus 3-4 and then have a second parallel aux set to input bus 3-4 and so on and so on.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 6:33 pm

Screen grab..

Drum Buss, then Drum Parallel buss, then Drum Distortion buss, then ambience and reverb returns. All are AUX tracks.
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.32.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.32.14 PM.png (183.35 KiB) Viewed 179 times

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 6:39 pm

Bass routing.
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.38.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.38.42 PM.png (55.68 KiB) Viewed 176 times

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 pm

I really need to lose the buss numbers and go into the I/O set up and just give the buss routing "names" so it's easier to organize.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 pm
I really need to lose the buss numbers and go into the I/O set up and just give the buss routing "names" so it's easier to organize.
Dude that is awesome, thank you for the screenshots!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 07, 2024 7:20 am

T-rex wrote:
the solo button is greyed out and when I solo I get nothing. I THINK the group track is an Aux track? It shows as a bus in the output of my snare track.
for some stupid reason that is the default now when you create a new AUX track. Avid calls it "solo safe" (look it up). I always just "ctrl+click" (or command click if you are on a mac) on it to undo it and make it act normal because 99% of the time I don't want it like that.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am

I also just want to say that I hate "dark mode" and turn that off first thing (then it's good unless I'm asked by Avid support to clear prefs - which is the first thing they ask you to do whether it is relevant or not). Also, probably because I'm using track coloring (which I'm guessing maybe you have not found yet). I always color code my tracks so I know what I'm scrolling for.

this can get you started -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-uRwhN0Y4

this is ok too -- https://pcaudiolabs.com/track-coloring-in-pro-tools/

I usually set Preferences/Display to Tracks and MIDI Devices and Track Color then I can group drums as one color, guitars another, bass another, etc. It really helps when you are looking at a bunch of track and trying to find somethings... I don't think there is any standard though so I just have my own color scheme that I like. some try to coordinate letters (Green for Guitars, Violet for Vocals, etc. but that mostly doesn't even work so....)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue May 07, 2024 7:58 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am
I also just want to say that I hate "dark mode" and turn that off first thing (then it's good unless I'm asked by Avid support to clear prefs - which is the first thing they ask you to do whether it is relevant or not). Also, probably because I'm using track coloring (which I'm guessing maybe you have not found yet). I always color code my tracks so I know what I'm scrolling for.

this can get you started -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-uRwhN0Y4

this is ok too -- https://pcaudiolabs.com/track-coloring-in-pro-tools/

I usually set Preferences/Display to Tracks and MIDI Devices and Track Color then I can group drums as one color, guitars another, bass another, etc. It really helps when you are looking at a bunch of track and trying to find somethings... I don't think there is any standard though so I just have my own color scheme that I like. some try to coordinate letters (Green for Guitars, Violet for Vocals, etc. but that mostly doesn't even work so....)
I LOVE DARK MODE!!!!!! Probably because it's a nice change from looking at the other mode for 25 years. As you can see, track coloring also works in DARK MODE.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am

I like solo safe as default on Aux Tracks. That way if I'm, for instance, soloing the drum group, my parallel compressor is still active, and I like effects staying active with solo.

I've got no interest in dark mode. And I agree color coding REALLY makes it so much easier to navigate mixer and edit window. There isn't a color standard, so, like DD, I devised my own.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue May 07, 2024 10:25 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:20 am
T-rex wrote:
the solo button is greyed out and when I solo I get nothing. I THINK the group track is an Aux track? It shows as a bus in the output of my snare track.
for some stupid reason that is the default now when you create a new AUX track. Avid calls it "solo safe" (look it up). I always just "ctrl+click" (or command click if you are on a mac) on it to undo it and make it act normal because 99% of the time I don't want it like that.
OMG, thank you. It’s funny I was driving myself nuts thinking it was a routing thing I screwed up.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue May 07, 2024 10:29 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am

I’ve always done this going back to cubase and it’s one of the first things I did in PT. My mixer looks like a rainbow. But yeah, each instrument has its own color. I see people who just do the random color thing and I don’t understand it. Knowing that light blue is acoustic gt and dark blue are the electric gts etc just makes it so easy for me.