New Pro Tools, who dis? "FREEZE"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: New Pro Tools, who dis? "FREEZE"

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 08, 2024 6:41 am

just use colors that don't hurt your eyes and it's all good - you will be staring at them all day!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 08, 2024 11:17 am

T-rex wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:29 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am

I usually set Preferences/Display to Tracks and MIDI Devices and Track Color then I can group drums as one color, guitars another, bass another, etc. It really helps when you are looking at a bunch of track and trying to find somethings... I don't think there is any standard though so I just have my own color scheme that I like. some try to coordinate letters (Green for Guitars, Violet for Vocals, etc. but that mostly doesn't even work so....)
I’ve always done this going back to cubase and it’s one of the first things I did in PT. My mixer looks like a rainbow. But yeah, each instrument has its own color. I see people who just do the random color thing and I don’t understand it. Knowing that light blue is acoustic gt and dark blue are the electric gts etc just makes it so easy for me.
I use blues for guitars as well!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed May 08, 2024 1:36 pm

It’s funny, I do my tracks left to right, drums, bass, keys, gts, vox, (groups are the same color) then EFX. Starting in cubase I think IIRC I just did the colors left to right based on their color
selector.
Drums - orange
Bass - green
Keys - yellow
Guitars - blue (shades for el, ac, and sometimes two different guitarists)
Vox - pink
EFX - purple

I do find the colors on PT pretty blah. It’s like going from Logic to PT user interface is like going from Mac to windows MS paint. First world problems.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 08, 2024 3:12 pm

there's a color intensity slider that helps (although not sure how much if you are in dark mode lol)
Mike

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue May 14, 2024 10:32 am

So my short PT journey has been really enlightening. I built a nice tracking / mix template and some custom key shortcuts that mirror my longtime Cubase / Logic ones. Came across some real head scratchers that seemed so simple in any other DAW but found a way around them and working through this stuff in PT actually made me understand Logic a lot better. I'm gonna cancel my monthly plan with PT and if I ever get a PT project I can just pay for the month and pull it up. I realize now my biggest pain points in Logic with the playlists are actually just me being a dumbass.

If I group in Logic, like in PT, the alternate takes (playlists) are all grouped as well and edits are all global, if the group is set up that way. So all that functionality is there in Logic I just didn't know how to set it up properly.

PT still does a lot better than Logic in the editing department, especially for drums. But I am rarely fixing everything to a grid, mainly just comping takes together so this isn't as much of a concern. But it would be awesome if Loic could get their version of beat detective up to snuff.

I also really like the floating send faders in PT, versus the tiny wheels in Logic etc. But there are so many little things on both sides it really comes down to paying $299 a year or $37 a month versus my one time $199 for Logic and now a free upgrade to Logic 11.

Super glad I did it thought. well worth a month.

Oh also Nembrini makes a version of Lofi that's on sale for $15 now and it's pretty close. Closer then their Sansamp, although it is good too.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 14, 2024 12:42 pm

other people would probably hate my sessions. I do a lot of drum tracking, so I got used to having the drums to the right - only the AUX busses and master fader are further right (master is furthest). Then my guide tracks would be to the left and click furthest left. I got used to that, so then I usually have bass closest to drums, then to the left of that keys and guitars, and then further left vocals. Sometimes I'll have a vocal bus or even guitar bus in the middle somewhere if it makes sense. And yeah I know it's backwards from what a lot of folks do but I don't care lol. And for colors...

master fader - a dark, brick red
AUX - a light/med green
drums - sorta aqua (percussion some variation of that color)
Guitars - reds
bass - yellow
keys/synth - blues
vocals - hot pink
click - no color (gray)

I know it's probably crazy, but it's mainly about contrast against one another when using my layout. And I'm red-green color blind so that might affect my decisions. :mrgreen:
Mike