Black Lion Audio MOTU 828 mk II MOD? Anyone Have one?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:59 pm

Hey Arman, did you actually get in touch to schedule the mod? I sent an email to admin@blacklionaudio.com a couple days ago and never received a reply.

Arman
audio school graduate

Post by Arman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:09 pm

yeah - i talked to matt. I'll be in next week.

He emailed me back promptly. maybe try and email him again?

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:22 pm

I have a little info on this stuff. First off, it was totally my fault that Matt didn't email me back--he tried to, but he was getting rejected by my spam filter for some reason.

Second, I asked him some questions about the overall quality of the 896 vs. a higher-end interface, specfically the Rosetta 800. Here's his reply:
The Apogee and the MOTU use the same brand of converters. The 896 uses AK5385A, which is a 114dB dynamic range converter, and widely considered one of the best on the market. If the Apogee uses anything better, it's most likely the AK5394A, which is AKM's best--it has 123dB of dynamic range. Post modification, you will most likely still hear a difference between, say the 800 and the 896, but I guarantee it's not a $1200 difference.

The two areas where the 896 falls short in my opinion is the clock circuit (which shows some temperature dependant issues) and the secondary gain stages. The secondary gain staging is no problem-- I take care of that.

The clock circuit...well, that's a work in progress, and if you're syncing it to a better clock there's no need to worry at all. Also, though I can drop THD and noise, I can't do anything to improve transient response--the design is limited in that respect, although its just as good as an Apogee or Benchmark in that department.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:09 am

Let us know how it goes, Arman. I think I'm going to send mine in in January; I just got a lynx card, so if i can get the 828 to cooperate with it, it'd be nice to keep around for more channels.

Michael

Arman
audio school graduate

Post by Arman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:32 pm

I sent mine in and I will report back after I get it back....

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:20 pm

i'm sending my traveler in to matt in january and will report back here with results. i will try to do some careful before/after comparisons to see if it's worth it, but i think it will be. if it sounds much better i'll probably pick up a used 828mkii and upgrade it to add more decent ins and outs.

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewstadium » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:03 pm

I have the two rack space SMPRO 8 Channel mic pre.
I will let you know when I do my mod. I corresponded with Black Lion over a year ago, bought my Burr Browns but have yet to sit down and do it
Are they selling this as a mod kit now?
InvalidInk wrote:I really want to try the SM Pro PR8 mod. I need a new 8 channel pre-amp and that seems like a really cheap way of getting some good mic pres. Although the SM Pro PR8MKll just came out, i wounder if he could mod that?.....

tablebeast
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tablebeast » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:31 pm

Well, it looks like I got Matt's last slot for December. I think with this thread and one over at the MOTU site he got overrun with questions and orders which is partly why he is waiting until January to take on any more orders. It is just a one man operation.
I had used the stock 828 mkII for almost two years before I finally got tired of it sounding dull. I didn't do any hard core before tests, but I will report back once I recieve my newly modified unit as to the sound differences. As I am very familiar with the 828 in stock form before the mod I should be a good judge of it afterwards. On one project I had worked on with it, we actually did some mixdowns where we sent 10 tracks out of the 828, through a mixer, and back into the 828. I will do the same process with the new and improved unit and the same mixer, so it should be a good test of the differences. I can't wait until I get it back.

Jesse
I want to be different, just like everybody else.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:53 am

Arman wrote:I sent mine in and I will report back after I get it back....
Arman, did you get it back yet? Anyone else have anything more to add about this mod? I'm planning on having Matt mod both my 896's in January, so I'm really curious.

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:16 pm

Funny you should ask. I won't be getting it back ...

I sent it out on 12/05/05. A notification was left on 12/07 and the package was "delivered" on 12/08. I sent it via USPS with delivery confirmation and $700 insurance.

Matt said he never got notification and never recieved the package. The Postal Service says they get a signature on insured items of that amount and they have no record of a signature. The delivery confirmation confirms that it was delivered... somewhere ...

I have to wait 21 days before filing and insurance claim for a lost item. After that, the post office informs me that I will most likely not get my $700. They say that delivery confirmation proves that it was delivered and not lost. Since they did not get a signature on the insurance, I may have a case but I'm not expecting anything. Claims can take up to 6 months to fulfill.

No more recording for me. I have a new record I need to finish and two movie soundtracks in the works.

Ouch.

So ... no report here :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :evil:

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:26 pm

Ouch, that sucks. Best of luck with your insurance claim.

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:34 pm

good lord -

so this things ben missing for almost 2 weeks now and Matt, bless his soul, just found it down the hall. It was actually delivered to one of his neighbors.

I guess I won't have to take Cliff Claven to the shooting range afterall.

I'll report backlater
:) :D :) :D :) :D :o :shock: :shock: :P :P :?: :twisted:

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:30 pm

Nice that the carrier waited for a signature! My company had a UPS claim (for about $10k) and it took 6 frigging months to get paid.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:24 am

I hope Santa takes a minute to pimp out whatever Matt's neighbors are getting for Christmas. They're my new rock and roll heroes.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:54 am

Really glad you found your Motu. Don't get me started.... :evil: ... about UPS and such! I actually had Matt mod a couple pieces of gear for me, and the funny thing, it only gets damaged AFTER Matt do the mods...! :? .One of the pieces, after I sent it back to him and he repaired it, he sent it back and guess what......UPS broke it again..! Footprints and stuff on the box. :shock: ... So Matt, being the nice guy he is, has it there and is repairing it Again..! So maybe I'll get a chance to at least power it up when it comes this time!... :D